Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Does anyone else hate pepper? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/does-anyone-else-hate-pepper-t143746.html)

Ramona Byrd 08-09-2011 11:16 AM

(I don't like the pre- milled pepper though- too dusty or something)
-------------------------------------------
I like it as a taste additive. And I agree with you that I don't like the pre-milled black peppers after reading many years ago the amount of rat hairs and rat feces allowed in commercially sold black peppers!!!

feline fanatic 08-09-2011 11:19 AM

Love black pepper and use lots of it but only freshly ground. I find it to be essential in Ceasar Salad and homemade alfredo sauce.

nativetexan 08-09-2011 11:25 AM

oh my, don't come over my house. i don't use salt but do use pepper- a lot.

BellaBoo 08-09-2011 11:35 AM

I use to never eat anything that had ground black pepper on it. But surprise! I tasted fresh ground pepper straight from a pepper mill and it was wonderful! Nothing like the ground pepper in a box. Fresh ground black pepper is not hot but full of flavor. All my childhood nothing on the table but ground black pepper in a shaker. That's all I thought pepper was. I made sure my kids knew the difference. We all love fresh ground pepper.

Same with salt. I won't use iodized table salt. I use Himalayan Pink salt or Celtic sea salt. This salt has all the trace minerals and does not taste salty. Hard to explain but the salt taste is not bitter salty salt like regular table salt. Even if you over salt. It has flavor but not the salty taste. I use Kosher salt for big salt jobs like pots of soups or beans.

janallyn 08-09-2011 11:44 AM

i love pepper, in all varieties, white, pink, green, red and the traditional black, i do only use fresh ground but with a cheese omelet (which i only make for myself, luckily i live alone) looks like i thru coffee grounds in it, my boyfriend loves my cooking, but when he is around the first thing he askes is "how much pepper" "followed are you crazy?" it is a good way to have dinner out, lol

and a good point is about the salt, i only use table salt to dye fabric, i have himilayan-pink and grey, black salt, and of course kosher, regular sea, and sometimes anything interesting that i find at the health store, i find most processed foods are bitter do to the sodium or perhaps it is the amount of iodine they put in it, my personal opinion is that we get enough table salt/sodium in the foods we consume all the time, so we are unlike to develope ricketts.

ps i am not a health food nut, just hate salt and love pepper

jan in palatka

ufoqueen 08-09-2011 11:52 AM

Can't say that I don't like pepper, but unless it's finely ground, I choke on it. Like some salt.

Quiltaddict 08-09-2011 12:09 PM

Thanks everyone. At least now I know I'm not the only one who doesn't like pepper, but we do seem to be in the minority.

TexasSunshine 08-10-2011 03:16 AM

I love pepper on most things, but can do without salt.

pokergal3 08-10-2011 03:49 AM

I hate black pepper big time!!! Wont eat most food with pepper in it. Yucks!!!

lenette 08-10-2011 04:43 AM

Never have cared for pepper, either.