Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Does anyone get embarrassed about appearance anymore? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/does-anyone-get-embarrassed-about-appearance-anymore-t267279.html)

zennia 07-07-2015 01:58 AM

Great question. What ever happened to pride in apperance? I may dress down at home but always sress up to go out of the house.

Sandygirl 07-07-2015 02:58 AM

My favorite mantra when I see interesting ensembles is..." I would not wear THAT to the mailbox!".
Pet eyesores: Tight stretchy short shorts, tight tops with the rolls of flesh highlighted, etc. Pajama pants, low hanging jeans with the crotch at the knees....when will this trend go away?

One could dress comfy casual without going total slob. I dress up when I want to do some serious clothing shopping. I want the sales staff to wait on me...and they do! If I am more casually dressed, the staff greets me and then ignores me. So....first impressions matter. I dress according to my motive.

sandy

Aurora 07-07-2015 02:58 AM

As time for the 127 yard sale rolls around, I keep thinking about a couple of years ago when walking through a large group of sellers, there were a couple of relatively young women (extremely pregnant), walking around with their bumps totally exposed. Their pants were pulled up just below it and they were wearing crop tops. I felt overdressed in slacks and a T-shirt.

Apparently the answer to your question is that -- too few get embarrassed, or too many have such low self-esteem.

sparkys_mom 07-07-2015 03:31 AM

My favorites are the extremely overweight ladies that wear white leotards. Really??!!

sandy l 07-07-2015 03:35 AM

Well heaven knows I'm not trying to be the "fashion police", as I'm horizontally challenged and have spread a little too much myself, but does anyone else find it curious that most of the bad example of dressing that has been mentioned is mostly seen at WalMart? No offense meant, just wondering?

illinois 07-07-2015 03:50 AM

WalMart seems to be the "melting pot" of the population so that's where we tend to see every possible combination of apparel. Even clean clothes seem to be unnecessary nowadays! I remember when we actually changed clothes to be ready to go to town. No bra straps showing, no slip sticking out. Remember seams in stockings and doing the flip around to be sure they were straight--and who even wears stockings nowadays?! I wish the gals would quit wearing tshirts stretched over expanding pregnant bellies. How much I liked the demure maternity tops of our era! They didn't have to be tents but just a soft A-line that was a little more tasteful than being able to see how much of an outie a person has at 9 months! Gross.

southernmema 07-07-2015 03:58 AM

Sadly, modesty has gone the way of a lot of our morals.....way downhill.

patricej 07-07-2015 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by sandy l (Post 7249847)
... does anyone else find it curious that most of the bad example of dressing that has been mentioned is mostly seen at WalMart? No offense meant, just wondering?

this is not true at all. it's a stereotype.
go to any high end shopping mall and you will still see hogs in spandex; heaving cleavage; butt cracks, etc.
their rolls and folds of fat are just hangin' out of more expensive clothes.

Sophie2 07-07-2015 04:16 AM

I may wear sweats and t-shirts when quilting, but if I go out of the house I put appropriate clothing on. It just amazes me to see, especially young people, in pj bottoms, hair not clean, as if they just crawled out of bed. Do they really think they look attractive? I remember my 7th grade home ec teacher telling us we should dress as if we were going to meet the queen. I don't know if I go that far in my dressing, but I try to look pulled together.

Stitchit123 07-07-2015 04:19 AM

walmart is the tackiest of the tacky wardrobes-hey they have there own site. My brother and I were in a Sears store and all of a sudden these 2 females who apparently had not seen one another in a while started 'screeching' #1 says Oh girl you be lookin' good #2 says I love your outfit makes you look skinny they are screeching the whole time, A store clerk goes over to them to ask them to lower their voices- he was very polite. But they act like he is not there and now customers are moving to see what was going on. My brother says to me So which one is the skinny one. One is in a sports type bra and white leggings? the other is in what I presume was a micro mini skirt and a halter top. I told my brother their phones were the only skinny thing I could see. These 2 were at least 1000 lbs together. One was there to buy a prom dress.