Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Does anyone know the difference between a Copyright and a License? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/does-anyone-know-difference-between-copyright-license-t267476.html)

Pennyhal 07-11-2015 10:06 AM

Does anyone know the difference between a Copyright and a License?

The recent discussion about copyrights got me to thinking about what a License does. Seems that while I don't see a lot of what I purchase not as copyrighted, but "licensed." Like you are buying a license to use a design and limits what you can do with what you make with that design. I can't see how this can be enforceable, but maybe someone knows or has a link to this info.

Buckeye Rose 07-11-2015 10:22 AM

Copyrights pertain to the item being purchased only. If you buy copyrighted patterns, you cannot copy the printed pattern and give/sell to anyone. You can make as many items as you want with that pattern, and you can sell what you make. If you buy licensed fabric, you can still sell what you make from it. You cannot duplicate the images on the fabric or make fabric just like it. Go to the tabberone.com website and read the info on the trademark/copyright pages. All their info/opinions are backed up by cited court cases.

ManiacQuilter2 07-11-2015 10:56 AM

That is interesting because I have seen on Susan Winget has it printed on the selvage of her fabric that items made from it can not be sold.

Pennyhal 07-11-2015 03:09 PM

The Tabberone link above has a lot of info about that. It really gives a lot of info about copyrights.

SunlitenSmiles 07-13-2015 03:14 AM

The Disney fabrics, that I have seen, have selvage notice that items made must not be for sale only for personal use. Licensed Fabric

dunster 07-13-2015 07:06 AM

Very simply put, a copyright means you can't make copies without permission. Someone who owns a copyright can give someone else a license, which is permission to make copies, usually with specific terms. You will see some fabric that states in the selvage area that it's a licensed fabric - usually bearing a Disney character or sports logo or some such. The manufacturer has paid for a license to use that image on the fabric, but the image itself is copyrighted.

DivaDee 07-13-2015 02:56 PM

OK, I have this question about copyright. Our guild designed their own logo about 10 years. I ask at the meeting last week about getting permission to have the logo digitized, so it could be embroidered on various items. My gosh, you would think I was asking for everyone's first born. They said I can make any money off the logo. I didn't want that but maybe to sell bags etc with the logo on it. They said I can't do that either. Has anyone run across something like this before?

dunster 07-13-2015 04:05 PM

Apparently the logo design belongs to the guild, so it would be a copyright violation for anyone to copy it without permission (so it's good that you asked first). You could inquire about purchasing a license to make a set number of items with the logo. That way the guild would get some income while still protecting the use of their logo, the members would be able to purchase items made with the logo, and you would also get some income. However before doing that you might want to make sure that the guild members are interested in purchasing the items. I think your customer base would probably not extend outside the guild, unless the logo is very generic.

DivaDee 07-13-2015 04:41 PM

Thanks Dunster for your reply. I had thought about making bags and adding the logo if they wanted it. Or adding to a t-shirt or such. Just charge for my labor that way. The logo is very specific.