Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   does anyone know how to (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/does-anyone-know-how-t207010.html)

4EVERquilt 11-26-2012 03:42 PM

does anyone know how to

make prayer rugs? Heard you could make them out of fabric, but don't have a pattern or don't know where to start, if anyone knows please let me know. Thnx

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 11-26-2012 03:45 PM

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.ehow.com/how_8464226_make-prayer-mat.html

4EVERquilt 11-26-2012 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter (Post 5681589)

Thank you, this does help.

quiltingshe 11-26-2012 08:08 PM

Here are directions for a prayer rug that was given to me by a friend. It says to use polyester double knit, but I suppose you could do it with any fabric. But polyester would wear better and have more loft to it. It is nice with many different colors. I wish I had a picture to show, but I don't.

Rug

Made from polyester double knit

Oval shape 22 inches wide and 34 inches long. Base was heavy canvas or duck or something sturdy like that.

The middle line was about 12 inches long. The polyester fabric is cut into 2 ½ inch squares then folded in half diagonally. They are sewn onto the base with the point over lapping the one ahead of it just a little. The middle line is just sewn straight and then start the oval from there. The sewing lines are approximately ½ inch apart.

There were 22 rows on each side of the middle. It can be made with many different colors.

There is a poem that goes with the rug, calling it a prayer rug.

Prayer

I’m a little prayer rug,
And I’ll protect your knees
From dust and dirt and little bugs
And splinters from flat trees

Every morning when you wake
And before you go to sleep
Kneel on me and talk to Him
Instead of counting sheep

Prayer can be your lifeline
When you are in need
He’ll bless you and protect you.
You, His lamb, He’ll feed.

So thank Him for His blessings
Talk to Him each day.
He promised He would guide us
And help us find the way.

Written by Ann and Erin Mabee, Daughter and granddaughter of Bert & Doris Bowler

4EVERquilt 11-27-2012 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshe (Post 5682187)
Here are directions for a prayer rug that was given to me by a friend. It says to use polyester double knit, but I suppose you could do it with any fabric. But polyester would wear better and have more loft to it. It is nice with many different colors. I wish I had a picture to show, but I don't.

Rug

Made from polyester double knit

Oval shape 22 inches wide and 34 inches long. Base was heavy canvas or duck or something sturdy like that.

The middle line was about 12 inches long. The polyester fabric is cut into 2 ½ inch squares then folded in half diagonally. They are sewn onto the base with the point over lapping the one ahead of it just a little. The middle line is just sewn straight and then start the oval from there. The sewing lines are approximately ½ inch apart.

There were 22 rows on each side of the middle. It can be made with many different colors.

There is a poem that goes with the rug, calling it a prayer rug.

Prayer

I’m a little prayer rug,
And I’ll protect your knees
From dust and dirt and little bugs
And splinters from flat trees

Every morning when you wake
And before you go to sleep
Kneel on me and talk to Him
Instead of counting sheep

Prayer can be your lifeline
When you are in need
He’ll bless you and protect you.
You, His lamb, He’ll feed.

So thank Him for His blessings
Talk to Him each day.
He promised He would guide us
And help us find the way.

Written by Ann and Erin Mabee, Daughter and granddaughter of Bert & Doris Bowler

Thank you quiltingshe, I will save this pattern and try it. Your help is sewww appreciated!:)