Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Dog Hair taking over (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/dog-hair-taking-over-t36173.html)

nursie76 02-06-2010 11:58 AM

I don't know about products that would get it up, but we have a border collie/lab mix and he sheds a lot. We started taking him to the groomer to have him "carded" like they do sheep I think. Anyway, when he comes home he looks like he has lost 10 pounds and it cuts way back on the shedding. There is a special brush or comb that you can use at home, but I tried it and didn't find it easy (he was squirmy) and it didn't do as good a job. Usually have to have it done a couple times back to back and then after the initial times, about every 1-1/2 months. Good luck.

littlehud 02-06-2010 12:05 PM

I have the same problem but with cats. Any tips would be great.

AtHomeSewing 02-06-2010 12:28 PM

Until this past year we had FIVE dogs, sadly now only three.

I don't sweep at all anymore, since hubby got me two Roombas over a year ago! Love them the most on the hard floors, such as the kitchen. Actually he bought the second one as a surprise for my sewing room, and I love it in there too. Only thing to do is empty each day, and an occasional clean out of the brushes.

butterflywing 02-06-2010 02:24 PM

try wiping him down with damp kitchen rubber gloves.

vacuum him and teach him to let you.

pretend he's a child and you have to brush his hair. grab him between your knees
and go to it. remember, you're the mommy :lol: :lol:

Butterfli19 02-06-2010 02:38 PM

Funny, just this morning I was wondering why cat hair never comes off anything easily except the cat.

nursie76 02-06-2010 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19
Funny, just this morning I was wondering why cat hair never comes off anything easily except the cat.

Good Point!!!!!! :thumbup:

Jim's Gem 02-06-2010 06:12 PM

I am drowning in dog hair right now. I swear I swept up half a dog's worth a couple hours ago. I have 3 labs.

butterflywing 02-06-2010 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19

i always used rubber kitchen gloves. i wet them and shook off the excess water. then i rubbed over the places where the cat hair was. i can't say i was perfect, but it got rid of most of the orange hair on the dark blue upholstery. a neighbor bought mottled grey carpeting to match her dog. LOL!

Margie 02-06-2010 06:55 PM

We have a golden retrievor...they shed a lot. However, our vet said to give him olive oil with his food everyday and there is a huge difference. Really cuts down on the amount of shedding. We give him two spoonfulls a day with his dinner.

Margie

Chasing Hawk 02-06-2010 07:47 PM

My dog Chili Palmer sheds like crazy. We brush her and remove enough hair one would think there were at least 3 dogs in the trash can when we are finished. And when I sweep the shop floor I usually find enough of her hair to make another dog.
Our cat sleeps on the back of the recliner or in the spare bedroom during the day. Who am I kidding , she sleeps anywhere she wants..lol I have a pillow on my desk that I wash weekly, the recliner has a blanket over the back so I throw that into the wash too. And the bed in the spare room I lay a blanket over the comforter. Plus I vacuum the carpets several times a week.