Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   doggy no no (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/doggy-no-no-t46210.html)

123lindi 05-17-2010 10:54 AM

Can anyone tell me how to get a dog from doing peepee in the house. I have never had a dog like this. He isn't a puppy or new to us. He's a terrier mix. Thank heaven we have tile floors except bedrooms are laminate, which is usually where goes...of course. He's had check-ups with the vet, all is well. When we have company watch out he pulls out all the stops...literally.

pocoellie 05-17-2010 11:37 AM

They have puppy training pads, I realize he's not a puppy but it might work. Other than that, I can't help you, except take him outside every hour if you can. Do you have a doggy door?

susie0808 05-17-2010 11:44 AM

Try taking him out more often. My dog was like this. He showed no sign of having to go out. then all he did was let loose. He was a lazy dog didn't want to move. About every half hour I grabbed him took him out, sometimes he went sometimes he didn't. But he got used to the routine and it worked. A pain for me but I was able to understand when he needed to go. Hope this helps. Good Luck

reach for the stars 2 05-17-2010 11:51 AM

I don't know I have one like that frustrated and puzzled if u find out let me know. Peepee all over in Illinois

amandasgramma 05-17-2010 12:13 PM

I had a dog that did that for 2 yrs. New husband....same dog. He started taking the dog out.....got her trained. Seems I was taking her out and the MINUTE she peepeed, I called her back in. He let her run and play for quite a while....she then figured out it was OKAY to be out there! It was like I was punishing her for peeing outside!!!! I'd never thought of that!

LUV2QLT 05-17-2010 12:20 PM

When I got my little girl, she was 10+1/2 months old - and not potty trained! So, I took her outside every hour - except at night - gave her lots of praise and a tiny treat if she did her duties, and just a tiny praise if she didn't - if she didn't, I took her out in 1/2 hour intervals, until she did go - then back to the one hour intervals - with praise and a treat if earned - it took two weeks, but since then, never an accident in the house - and she's going on seven years old now. I've also heard that when company comes, to keep the dog in a small kennel (suppossedly, they won't poo or pee in a small area) until they feel comfy with the people in the house, then let the dog outside to do duties, and then in to meet company. Good luck!

CarrieAnne 05-17-2010 12:25 PM

Sometimes small dogs seem harder to trian. My bulldog had a chronic bladder infection when she was a Puppy...couldnt get mad at her, she REALLY couldnt help it...but she is STILL horrible if I dont keep taking her out ALOT!

MadQuilter 05-17-2010 12:43 PM

Is he fixed?

Time to steam clean and get all the residue out - remember they have sensitive noses. Then, I would find a way to confine him to a limited area in the house. Don't let him have the run of the house - he hasn't earned it yet.

Keep an eye on him to get to know his signs - and they may be subtle. As soon as he shows signs of "gotta go" (or on a schedule) take him outside. When he does his business - praise praise praise and for you patience patience patience.

littlehud 05-17-2010 01:02 PM

We have a new pup. He could care less if he goes outside. So I bought some of the puppy training pads and he goes on that everytime. It's not a perfect soulution but it's working for now.

hazeljane 05-17-2010 02:05 PM

Have you ever tried belly bands?

http://www.artfire.com/modules.php?n...=pee-liminator

Holly is my friend and her Pee-liminators are nicely made. They don't really like to wet themselves, so if you put this on him when he is in the house, it serves two purposes- it'll protect your house, and he'll learn that peeing outside is much more comfortable.

good luck