Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Dogs and Flea Pills (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/dogs-flea-pills-t36494.html)

skpkatydid 02-09-2010 09:51 PM

Have you tried peanut butter. Usually dogs like it and they don't find the pill.

earthwalker 02-09-2010 10:12 PM

We use cheddar cheese cubes (slightly melted in the microwave) use a plain one first and a "doctored one" as a chaser. Fools our Malamute x and he's way smarter than our Chi x. The cats we use a similar method wvdek described.

We have no probs. with fleas or ticks - we just use soap with Neem Oil in it...but we do worm regularly.

dglvr 02-09-2010 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by omak
Down on the coast, sand fleas are the deal. Most of the people I knew put yeast on to the dogs' feed and the yeast does something in the dog's system that the fleas don't like. <wave>

Good one. Coming from Seattle area I use to do that and it worked somewhat. Here I haven't had a flea problem (okay my dogs either). This year may be different because we haven't had a winter to kill anything off. No I'm not rubbing it in for you easterners.
As for pills. I've been shoving a horse pill down my females throat every night for 4 years. Nothing I do worked except for that. My male I just have his in my hand and he eats it.
His name isn't Tank for no good reason. :mrgreen:
Sometimes that IS all that works. I got mine telling me its med time though by giving them their pills then giving them a treat.
I'm not much help. Good luck though. Give your doggies a big hug. :thumbup:

Katrine 02-09-2010 11:43 PM

One of our has to have a daily pill, I make a small ball of blue cream cheese, put it in his bowl - he thinks it's special! The dogs are easy to hoodwink - now the cat is a different story altogether...

bluebird 02-10-2010 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by omak
Down on the coast, sand fleas are the deal. Most of the people I knew put yeast on to the dogs' feed and the yeast does something in the dog's system that the fleas don't like. <wave>

Oh yeah, my grandpa used Brewers Yeast for his dogs, no ticks or fleas, must try that out here. What do you use for "farm" cats? We have used the topical for years and no problem but some of the cats you can't catch :roll: End up putting out a pan of meat trimmings and doing them as they eat :D

lfw045 02-10-2010 03:20 AM

Hmmmmm....never used the flea pills. We used a prescription topical flea .....can't remembre the name but it was the only thing that worked for our dog. You're right though...the topical flea stuff on the market is junk.

Elisabrat 02-10-2010 06:24 AM

Are you talking like Hartz flea topical? the stuff sold at grocery stores? that doesnt work no matter where you live. It kills the live fleas but not the eggs so the cycle never ends. Are you sure frontline does not work or Advantage? My sister lived in Georgia and now in VA and tells me they worked great for her dogs (she has three BIG dogs). I work cat rescue and the grocery stuff NEVER works and shampoos get the dirt, blood and instant fleas off but never work for the ones in the lawn, carpet, couch.. you have to KILL them with the real stuff. I dont do fleas well and usually have more than 10 animals in my home at one time. The investment of Frontline is well worth the price to not have a single flea. Get rid of them now while its cold and before they start warming up and going crazy. I have to ask.. those of you who use Frontline are you having issues in the SO too? I am now going to the manufacturer to ask as this makes no sense at all. Its into the blood stream, therefore it should get them.. hum...

Elisabrat 02-10-2010 06:26 AM

PS I use JEFFERS pet supply or Lambert vet supply on line they give great prices (its pricy but if you want something to work and this is so worth the budget it in if you can at all). I buy in quantities so I have to shop cheap. If you have a small/med size dog you can PM me for advice on how to make it work for a tiny bit less

Boston1954 02-10-2010 07:12 AM

When we had our Rottweiler, the breeder told us to use either liverwurst or cream cheese. Worked every time.

Marjpf 02-10-2010 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by skpkatydid
Have you tried peanut butter. Usually dogs like it and they don't find the pill.

I've always used the peanut butter trick, too. By the time they get to the pill their mouth is so sticky they don't even realize it.
I treat the house with a salt you can put in the carpet, and treat my yard for fleas with a nematode that is organic. The salt dissolves the fleas and the nematodes eat the eggs. I get the nematodes at my local feed and grain and the come refrigerated. I know someone will ask the name, but I don't know what it is. After a couple of years of this, the flea population is dramatically reduced.