Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Don't go to this website-be careful. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/dont-go-website-careful-t257989.html)

maxnme01 12-09-2014 11:27 AM

Don't go to this website-be careful.

A WORD TO THE WISE!

There are many delicious recipes pictured on Pinterest and many of them come from a site calling themselves "Homemade Food Recipes". When you click on the photograph it NEVER brings up the recipe shown. I have had my computer screwed up so many times by clicking on invalid sites.

My son who installs and repairs computers for a living for our a government agency says these sites are UNSAFE AND MALWARE is often attached. Be safe and google the name of the recipe to see if you can find it on a legitimate site.

nativetexan 12-09-2014 12:47 PM

thanks. someone recently asked about a Chinese site. No way I'd go to a Chinese site or even Russian at this time. Way too many viruses and hackers there.

oh munner 12-09-2014 01:25 PM

Thanks for the warning. Is there a way to find where an e-mail came from without clicking on to the mail itself?

Jan in VA 12-09-2014 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by oh munner (Post 7001691)
Thanks for the warning. Is there a way to find where an e-mail came from without clicking on to the mail itself?

Yes, there is. Just hover your cursor over the 'from' address or any part of it and the full real address should appear.

I do this even for "friends" and family whom I haven't heard from in forever if I wonder whether their address book has been hacked and that's why I'm hearing from them now. And I rarely ever open an attachment or a URL included in an email unless I'm expecting it. I'd rather be "rude" than sorry.

I've been on the internet (properly known as the World Wide Web, or www) for 20+ years and have been disrupted only twice in all that time using these (and other) precautions.

Jan in VA

mermaid 12-09-2014 04:13 PM

another way...R click the message--a drop down window opens---L click on 'properties' at the bottom of the window, and see the sender's true address. Click 'details' and see other people the mail was sent to.
Just do not click on the attachment until you verify the authenticity of the sender. You can test this with mail in your box that you have already opened.

danlynmartin 12-11-2014 06:57 AM

Have you told Pinterest about thIs site. I am sure they would be interested!

ManiacQuilter2 12-11-2014 08:32 AM

I totally agree with Jan. I have always chosen to be safe than sorry. There are so many tempting website. We have to be so careful now a days. I just found that someone found an old Netflix account and started using my old AmExp card that had been cancelled over a year ago.

mjhaess 12-11-2014 08:46 AM

Thanks for the warning...

oh munner 12-14-2014 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 7001703)
Yes, there is. Just hover your cursor over the 'from' address or any part of it and the full real address should appear.

I do this even for "friends" and family whom I haven't heard from in forever if I wonder whether their address book has been hacked and that's why I'm hearing from them now. And I rarely ever open an attachment or a URL included in an email unless I'm expecting it. I'd rather be "rude" than sorry.

I've been on the internet (properly known as the World Wide Web, or www) for 20+ years and have been disrupted only twice in all that time using these (and other) precautions.

Jan in VA

Thanks Jan. I don't know the first thing about computer"anything", totally illiterate, so any help is greatly appreciated!