Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Double Needle (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/double-needle-t222639.html)

sherryl1 06-01-2013 06:06 AM

oh lord.just do it girl.you won't go to quilt prison if it doesn't work out.

Sunnye 06-01-2013 06:50 AM

I've tried but can't figure out how to thread the machine!

w1613s 06-01-2013 08:44 AM

A moment to butt in. If you get interested in double needles, please remember that you cannot sew stitches any wider than the hole in the stitch plate of your machine. My elderly Bernina can make a single needle zig zag up to 9 mm so if you are doing a fancy stitch with at least a double needle, you will need to check about that side to side thing and the two needles.

Have a good time with playing with various kinds of needles. P S, they make great gifts - ask my husband.

Pat

Mornigstar 06-01-2013 03:10 PM

I use and have many double needles. I always check a few things before I start such as the needle plate so check your manual. Threading is not really a big problem . YRS ago one teacher showed us how to do a lovely sewing technique with a double needle and one spool of thread . Forgot I had heard about putting spools unwinding different directions but I never had a problem. Haven't seen the 3 needles for sale but knew about them.

miriam 06-01-2013 05:34 PM

My Singer 403 accepts 2 needles without having to pay for an expensive double needle. I love the results! You just thread it like always but put the different threads through different tension disks.

Rose_P 06-01-2013 06:24 PM

I inherited my mom's 1968 Elna Super and her double needles are still in the original package. I don't think she used them, and I know I haven't. The 1972 Bernina 830 Record I bought in 2005 also had a set that didn't look used. It seems a shame. Maybe you have inspired me to give it a try. I have some knit pants that need to be taken up, so that would be a worthy project to begin with.

vanginney 06-01-2013 07:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I may have to invest in a triple needle and some other widths....just love the straight stitch on one side and the zigzag on the other :)

quiltingmimipj 06-01-2013 07:37 PM

I have never even known their purpose.

Pepita 06-02-2013 09:33 PM

Aren't you talking about twin needles? They are 2 needles that sew together--usually a zig zag stitch underneath. Often used for trim etc.

ChattQuilter 06-19-2013 09:31 AM

A wing needle is used in heirloom sewing. It is bigger than an ordinary needle like it has wings on the sides. It makes a tiny hole in the fabric and I use one of my decorative stitches along with it. It makes beautiful trim on baby and girls dresses. If you have heard of Martha Pullen and Sew Beautiful Magazine, she illustrates that technique. I am not connected with her or her business but love her TV shows on PBS.