Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   downton abbey (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/downton-abbey-t259701.html)

Seaside gal 01-15-2015 06:11 PM

I know several men who watch Downton Abbey and love the show.

Doggramma 01-15-2015 07:04 PM

I love it. I never started watching it when it started, but I heard so many good.things about it. So when I got Amazon Prime I watched all the episodes starting at the beginning. I not only enjoy the characters and story, I love the costumes and historical part of it (even if some is probably made-up!). My husband would never watch it. He dislikes anything that reminds him of a soap opera.

quiltjoey 01-15-2015 09:54 PM

Love it! Watched it from the beginning on PBS. I love Masterpiece Mysteries like; Inspector Lewis, Father Brown, Mrs. Marple, Doc Martin, etc. DH does not watch anything unless they have a number on their back and throw a ball...

Mariposa 01-15-2015 09:59 PM

We enjoy the DA series. My hubby even watches with me. He bought me the seasons 1-4, plus a special CD about the castle...:)

WMUTeach 01-16-2015 06:09 AM

I have no idea if men like it or not but I feel this season is falling into a more "soap opera" style of story line. But... did it stop me from watching? NO. I still love a good romantic novel even if it is not reality. Yikes, I live enough reality. A little fantasy is refreshing.

I still love Upstair, Downstairs and watch it methodically from time to time just to keep up with my "old friends". US/DS was unique because it was the first. Is Downton Abbey better? Hummm. No, not better or worse. Just adifferent setting; the country vs. the city. I am no longer as connected to the the characters in Downton as in previous years.

I stumbled upon Larkrise to Candleford at my library and asked for the series for Christmas last year. Got it and I so wish there were more seasons. I am entranced by the strong characters that are each full of foibles but rich in humanity. The old couple working through their marriage and the young folks learning their way through relationships with family are interesting. I feel closer to them than to the characters in Downton Abbey.

Go and enjoy them all!

KalamaQuilts 01-16-2015 07:48 AM

thanks again everyone.
WMUT, one of my favorite sayings came from the postmistress in Larkrise to Candleford... "my one little extravagance"
:)

Vera39760 01-16-2015 08:09 AM

My mother and I started watching the first season of Downton Abby last summer. DH came in during the third episode. We ended up starting over so he could watch from the beginning. When season 5 started he asked me to record them so he wouldn't miss them. I was surprised he was interested. But he also enjoyed Pride and Prejudice.

0tis 01-16-2015 08:11 AM

I watch it on PBS online the day after it shows on tv - usually while sewing - I love that show. My husband watched with me last week - I could tell that he could take it or leave it.

Onebyone 01-16-2015 12:05 PM

I have never lived in a state where the library charged for a card. Never thought they were suppose to. I'm sure the county had to pass that with a public vote?

KalamaQuilts 01-16-2015 01:10 PM

Kalama is a small town with a very small budget for the library. And for that matter we have a very small library! I think at least 1/4 of the books were donated to them by me :) I suspect the days when a library's resources were free are long gone. Particularly if don't don't reside within the city limits.