Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Downton Abbey / Upstairs Downstairs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/downton-abbey-upstairs-downstairs-t211039.html)

sewmom 01-16-2013 05:16 AM

I just started watching Downton Abbey- wanted to see what all the buzz was about! So I am stating with season 1. My first thought was - this is kinda boring. But said I was going to watch at least a few to give it a chance. Now I am kinda into it so I think I am going to keep watching. I love the expressions on the Dowager's face- she cracks me up!

Dpo 01-16-2013 06:05 AM

Downtown Abbey is so well done. Sunday evening is filled with history and beautiful clothes. Would it not be fun to visit for a day and take in all the splendor?

Stitchnripper 01-16-2013 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dpo (Post 5789921)
Downtown Abbey is so well done. Sunday evening is filled with history and beautiful clothes. Would it not be fun to visit for a day and take in all the splendor?

Yes as long as they had modern plumbing!!

MaryStoaks 01-16-2013 07:47 AM

I'm hooked on Downton Abby---- Upstairs Downstairs was great too. I get 4 public television stations so I get to see each episode more than once!:thumbup:

cindit 01-16-2013 08:10 AM

I love Downton Abbey. I think the clothes were better in the earlier episodes. The newer 20's clothing isn't as fun. Anyway, because of Downton, I decided to watch the entire Upstairs Downstairs series on Netflix. That was really good too. My favorites on Downton are Maggie Smith's character, Mary and John Bates. Did anyone see him rough up his cell mate? Hmmmm - made you think!

rosiewell 01-16-2013 08:32 AM

I love Downton Abbey, I also watched U/D back in the days, I loved it but it doesn't compare with DA. I did not like the recent U/D at all, so I stopped watching it. I have become very fond of the characters from DA, every one of them and most of all I like Maggie Smith while I find Matthew's mom sort of annoying. But I still like her.

Grace MooreLinker 01-16-2013 09:50 AM

We watch the series, enjoy it.

luciab 01-16-2013 11:33 AM

I've never watched Upstairs Downstairs, but I absolutely love Downton Abbey. It's the best show on television these days.

JoanneS 01-16-2013 12:51 PM

I would watch DA even if it wasn't a great as it is just to watch Maggie Smith. She absolutely steals every scene she's in without even seeming to try. My fav? The one where she's hiding behind her fan from the electric lights in DA 1

Patchesnposies 01-16-2013 03:03 PM

I was seriously ticked when the BBC ended Larkrise to Candleford when it was still going strong, in favor of Downton Abbey....but have become a big time fan of the Crawley Clan, (and everyone downstairs)...since! Such a sophisticated and stylish soap! LOL

I was disappointed in Shirley MacLaine's portrayal of Martha Levinson, but can't decide if it was how she acted the part or how it was written.

Poor Lady Edith, I was shocked at the turn of events that left her alone at the altar......never saw THAT coming. I was so hoping she would get her Happy Ending. :o(

I am so glad to see that there are others who are enjoying DA, too.