Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Dress buying shocker! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/dress-buying-shocker-t278001.html)

Watson 04-23-2016 10:08 AM

Dress buying shocker!

It will be my 25th Anniversary in June and we are having a party at the house. I've been looking for a dress and haven't seen anything I liked at the local dept stores, so stopped in at a dress store on the way home from work and saw one that I really liked.....simple, with a cut out back and flowing, tea length skirt. Looked at the price tag....$1550.00!!! :shock:
I didn't pay that much for my wedding dress!
I very carefully hung it back up and left the store.

Holy cow. I may be wearing something I already have, at those prices.

Watson

gramajo 04-23-2016 10:35 AM

Check around at resale shops. My area recently had a bridal resale shop/show. My DD's BFF found a mother of the bride dress at a reasonable price.

QuiltnLady1 04-23-2016 10:46 AM

WOW -- I would suggest Ross and TJ Max if you have one near you. I bought my mother of the bride outfit at Ross. The price of clothes is what drove me to make my own years ago -- these days most of what I wear are jeans and sweats and I get them at Costco.

Tartan 04-23-2016 11:20 AM

I bought a lovely dress with jacket for my son's wedding from the Sears catalog. It was in the bridal section in the big book. I haven't received a catalog for about 5 years now but you could check out their bridal section at their store.

M.Elizabeth 04-23-2016 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7531206)
I bought a lovely dress with jacket for my son's wedding from the Sears catalog. It was in the bridal section in the big book. I haven't received a catalog for about 5 years now but you could check out their bridal section at their store.

Or go online to order.

ManiacQuilter2 04-23-2016 12:17 PM

Do you have any resale shops up where you live. There are about 4 or 5 of them within a 10 mile radius. Two are really nice.

lynnie 04-23-2016 12:37 PM

did they forget to put the decimal point in the right place. Crazy. I'd make it instead. good luck in shopping. prices are crazy.

nativetexan 04-23-2016 01:53 PM

ha, ha. i am surprised you could find one with enough fabric to cover you effectively. Young girls don't dress for modesty. just to show off I think. I've not bought a dress in eons. You can tell!

Watson 04-23-2016 02:48 PM

I may have to make a trip to the States. There is a big outlet centre not far from the border that I've never been to. Maybe there would be something there more reasonable. Even with the exchange. The only consignment store near me closed recently, so that's a no go. I can sew, but I didn't really want to make my own for this special occasion... I was just shocked at the price.
Last time I bought a dress it was a black floor length evening gown and I bought it at Talize (a second hand store). They had just received a shipment from a store that went out of business and I happened to be going on a cruise, so I snapped it up...PLUS it was 50% off day...Twenty bucks! I've had more compliments on that dress!

Watson

Quilting Grandma 04-23-2016 04:43 PM

I know the feeling, but I got a great buy at J.C. Penny. Was looking for a dress for my grandson's wedding. With the sale price and a $10.00 coupon I paid $31.00 for a $72.00 dress. Nice little jacket over a sleeveless, high waist with a gored skirt. Pretty periwinkle color. Don't give up looking.