Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   A dress question...more to come! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/dress-question-more-come-t19807.html)

blzzrdqueen 05-06-2009 03:57 PM

Ok, I'm not sure what I'm doing and if I'm doing it right or not. I have 4 yards of fabric for the dress itself. I cut out each piece of the pattern needed. I cut around each pattern. This particular pattern is multiple sizes, and the size I am using is the smallest. Am I supposed to cut each pattern peice on the pattern lines before I place it on the fabric? And I know I am supposed to pin the pattern to the fabric. (I have never ever ever done this before) Can someone help me and guide me through this? I would be so appreciative!!! I so love you all!!

Stitching4Fun 05-06-2009 04:22 PM

have you measured the pattern according to your measurements? Sometimes the patterns do not measure the same. but keep in mind that when you measure you need room for give so it isn't skin tight. Usually this is 2-3 inches, sometimes more, depending on the pattern you are using.

If you know that you not going to use the other sizes at all, just lay it down and cut as you need to. You know where to cut, so you just pin it down and cut on the line you want. But................

If you want to save the other sizes, I usually clip and fold it under so I don't cut the other sizes off. But if you don't think you are going to use them, just cut where you need.

I hope this helps,
barb

bearisgray 05-06-2009 04:43 PM

Does the pattern have any statement that says something like "includes 5/8 inch seam allowances"?

Shadow Dancer 05-06-2009 04:59 PM

I used to make clothing, on patterns that were multiple sizes I just folded the pattern along the size I was making. That way the pattern could be used for the bigger sizes.

There is a layout picture in the pattern for placing your pattern pieces, just find the one for the width of your fabric and follow the placement for the pieces. :)

blzzrdqueen 05-06-2009 05:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok, I'm just going to cut each piece out at the size I'm using. Here is my other problem then I need to figure out. I'm posting 2 pics. One of the pattern layout in the instructions. I'm working on the first diagram. The other pic is my layout on my dining room table before I cut the patterns to size. My problem is piece 19 doesn't fit!! Even after I trim them all down it still won't fit the way the instructions say. I don't know what to do now.

MY layout before trims...piece 19 DOES NOT FIT!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]33384[/ATTACH]

Diagram of the layout the instructions calls for.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]33385[/ATTACH]

blzzrdqueen 05-06-2009 05:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen
Ok, I'm just going to cut each piece out at the size I'm using. Here is my other problem then I need to figure out. I'm posting 2 pics. One of the pattern layout in the instructions. I'm working on the first diagram. The other pic is my layout on my dining room table before I cut the patterns to size. My problem is piece 19 doesn't fit!! Even after I trim them all down it still won't fit the way the instructions say. I don't know what to do now.

Ok, hold on...I think I might be using the wrong diagram. I'm about to post another pic of the other diagram for the right size, which is 7.

The previous pics was the diagram on the left...I think I'm supposed to use the larger one for size 7 and up on the right.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]33387[/ATTACH]

Shadow Dancer 05-06-2009 05:08 PM

How many of number 19 do you need to cut? One or two of them? After cutting will you have a piece perhaps on the fold that you can open up and cut that piece from if you need only one of them?

blzzrdqueen 05-06-2009 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow Dancer
How many of number 19 do you need to cut? One or two of them? After cutting will you have a piece perhaps on the fold that you can open up and cut that piece from if you need only one of them?

It says I need to cut 2...

Shadow Dancer 05-06-2009 05:12 PM

Then it should fit, make sure you have the right layout for the width of your fabric and the size you are making. It's like a jigsaw puzzle sometimes getting all the pieces on. :)

blzzrdqueen 05-06-2009 05:24 PM

How wide is the fabric supposed to be selvage to selvage? I measured my fabric and it came out to 43 3/8" from edge to edge (selvage to selvage)