Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Dumb things I've done (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/dumb-things-ive-done-t28964.html)

burnsk 11-18-2009 02:27 PM

Thought this might be a good place for everyone to share chuckles about themselves.

Today was one of those days for me. I'm always trying multi task (that was the first dumb thing I did). This morning I poured my first cup of coffee and was talking to hubby at the same time. I went into the refrigerator and grabbed a carton to pour some milk into my coffee. First sip told me that I had grabbed the orange juice carton instead. YUK.

Met a friend for lunch and showed up in my slippers and forgot to brush my hair.

Just now I grabbed the telephone to change the channel on the TV.

Hmmm - I'm afraid to use my sewing machine today.

fatnsassy 11-18-2009 02:30 PM

It sounds like you should have stayed in bed this morning. Hope tomorrow is better.

tlrnhi 11-18-2009 02:38 PM

Ever walk around the house hunting for your car keys only to find that they are IN YOUR HAND?

jljack 11-18-2009 02:41 PM

Ever walk around looking for your purse after putting groceries away, and then discover it in the refrig? Wow....I drank 2 glasses of wine after that!!

amma 11-18-2009 03:31 PM

LMBO walk around the house looking for your glasses and they are on top of your head?
Looked for my keys for hours!!! they were in my back pocket....

MadQuilter 11-18-2009 03:37 PM

I remember putting my wrist braces in a very logical place. A place where the velcro wouldn't get tangled, a place where they wouldn't get dusty, a place where I was sure to look next time I need them.

I needed them, and I have looked in EVERY logical and even illogical place in my house. Finally gave up and bought new braces.

burnsk 11-18-2009 03:53 PM

They're always in the last place you look. :lol:

fatnsassy 11-18-2009 04:23 PM

Of course they are always in the last place you look, for you quit looking after you found them.

I have been known to try to bake a cake. When the timer went off, I was about to take it out of the oven and it wasn't there. I looked everywhere and found it in the refrigerator. It doesn't bake very fast that way.

Butterfli19 11-18-2009 06:11 PM

In infant days...ever pour your 3 a.m. coffee in the baby bottle and the formula in your coffee mug?

barnbum 11-18-2009 06:35 PM

Oh my gosh--I'm laughing out loud over here!! See: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here's something funny I wrote up after it happened--a few years ago.

I pride myself on how I can vault my legs high enough to get over the girls’ stall doors. (Okay I bang a knee on them now and then.) I’m rather impressed at how I can scale a tube gate with no hesitation. (Okay, so it’s not always a graceful move.) When visitors come, the adults just shake their heads when I fly over; I forget not everyone wants to do that, so I sheepishly open the gate for them. Maybe they think I should act my age? (What age?) Well, it didn’t work so flawlessly yesterday.

Jazz was going to be up front. For some reason, the usual routine of having the hay and water ready before the horses entered the pasture wasn’t followed. So, I had 3 gallons of water in a container in one hand, and a slice of hay in the other, 4 horses to wade through, and a gate to get over. I lifted the water container up and over, dropping it gently hoping it wouldn’t tip. It didn’t. (Even I am not stupid enough to try scaling with both water and hay.) Tucking the slice of hay under my arm, I climbed up and just when I had one leg over OOOOPH, the snow in the treads of my boots caused my boot to slip down the tube about a foot. OUCH! The pain was sharp for a minute, but let’s just say if I was of the opposite gender, things would have been much worse. I gathered myself, shook off the pain, and got over. Jazz got his hay and water.

But now I have to reckon with this gate again. It’d be pretty silly of me to make a second attempt, and I am not a silly woman. (Well, that is debatable.) Simply opening the gate wasn’t an option since the four girls on the other side were looking for hay and attention and I didn’t want to take a chance of a filly scooting through. So I eyed the little wooden ladder type situation to one side of the gate, put there years ago when we discovered it was possible for a horse to squeeze through. I’ll just climb up the cute little steps there. No problem. Once I mounted the first one, the never before stepped on pieces gave a little moan, so I hustled my moves so no repairs would be needed. I went up and over and OUCH! I was shocked to discover the wooden post was now inside my barn coat, and I was hanging there like a scarecrow, with my toes barely touching the ground. Pain was shooting up my tailbone. Visions of naughty school children being hung on a nail in a classroom passed through my head. I wanted to holler for help, but rethought that; did I really want anyone to see me in this predicament?? Besides, there was no one to hear my calls. Everyone was somewhere else. Finally, I realized I was able to lift the back of my jacket up and over the post, setting me free to walk off the pain. Once the pain had diminished, I laughed all through chores, just picturing myself in such a ridiculous situation. Later, when I was thinking about it, I decided next time (okay, I really hope there isn’t one, but one never knows) just unbuttoning my coat will free me fast too. See, I’m always thinking.