Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   e-readers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/e-readers-t98927.html)

lylamarie 02-11-2011 09:15 PM

Just wondering if anyone has experience and or a preference for make of e-reader.

sewwhat85 02-11-2011 09:20 PM

my daughters love the kendal

kat112000 02-11-2011 09:22 PM

Love my iPad! We bought our daughter the Sony e-reader and it is good however you can only get books from the Sony website.

lylamarie 02-11-2011 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by kat112000
Love my iPad! We bought our daughter the Sony e-reader and it is good however you can only get books from the Sony website.

that was one of my concerns. What about the iPad, where can you get books for it.

hobo2000 02-11-2011 09:45 PM

Books for the iPad come from iBooks, Barnes &Noble, all epub books work. Libraries only have ePub and you can read them for free. It's wonderful. You cAn listen to your favorite music and read at the same time, pop over and check your email. I gave my Nook to my GD.

toomanycats 02-11-2011 10:36 PM

I have a sony ereader. It is very simple but can only get books from sony site. Gave daughter the nook color for christmas. does much more and has a better selection of books and can get newspaers and magazines on it plus send to other aps so I am told and lend out books. daughter loves it but it is way too complicated for me.

Magdalena 02-11-2011 11:30 PM

I have the nook color and love it. The Ipad was too expensive for an e-reader for us.

Cuilteanna 02-11-2011 11:51 PM

I read on my iPod touch! I know the screen is too small for a lot of people, but (like the iPad) I have apps for not only iBooks but also Kindle, Nook, and eReader. That means I can buy from just about anywhere I like, which is helpful when only one place has a book I want.

plainpat 02-12-2011 02:33 AM

I'm on MacBook.....a laptop & have downloaded the Kindle reader from Amazon.Easy to do, free & have that nice size screen to read on.I download free Kindle editions from Amazon.
Now our library has a different free reader program set up & I'm going to figure that out too.That'll be all the reading I can handle :)

SLHughes 02-12-2011 04:58 AM

I have the Kobo ereader and just love it. I have had it for awhile. It comes with 100 free classic books already downloaded on it. I have never had any troubles with it at all. It also supports library lending of ebooks. There are many free ebooks on the Kobo site plus the Chapters site and other sites out there that have free ebooks. It can hold up to 1000 books and also has a slot to put one of those little memory cards which you can add more books too.

I also use a program www.calibre-ebook.com that will transfer files from one type of file to another so if there is a ebook that I would like to read that the Kobo doesn't support the file type you can use calibre to transfer the file into a file that Kobo supports. This site is also free.