Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Eating in the fifties (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/eating-fifties-t261406.html)

Boston1954 02-18-2015 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 7095237)
I came from New England, so Saturday night supper was codfish cakes, Boston baked beans, and B&M brown bread from a can. MMMMMM....

OH YES!!! We cannot get brown bread down here. (See Anne with a big sad face.)

grannie cheechee 02-18-2015 09:21 AM

I remember the first time I had sliced processed lunch meat. Early 59's, ate lunch at a friend's house. Came home raving about it, and grandparents laughed at me. My grandparents made everything scratch, and grandpa told me processed lunch meat wasn't from the best part of the animal. LOL They owned an ice cream store, and made their own, if they would have had to put the ingredients on the package it would say cream, sugar, and pure flavorings, NO CORN SYRUP!!!! Those were the days. Thanks, Ditter!!!

crafty pat 02-18-2015 10:02 AM

Thank you so much for the walk down memory lane. I remember my Mother and Grandmother walking out the back door grabbing a chicken kill it, clean it cut it up and that was dinner along with what came from our garden. Killing hogs in the Fall and the wonderful smell coming from the smoke house. I guess the only unhealthy thing we ate was my DM poured bacon fat in everything she cooked of fried.

Kitsie 02-18-2015 10:12 AM

Oh for my Mum's rice pudding made with Carnation canned milk!! We used to fight over who got the skin off the top!

sak658 02-18-2015 11:04 AM

We ate a lot of rice, but never did I see it ate with gravy till I got married in '62.. as a kid we ate it with sugar and butter, and I do that till this day...grew up in East Texas, and we never had broiled steak, pizza, seafood, except maybe a perch or two, spaghetti, but plenty of pork and chicken, and anything grown in a garden. And Hamburgers didn't grow in the garden.. We didn't have sliced bread till I was 15. Oh gosh!! I forgot, I'm old!!.

quiltsRfun 02-18-2015 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by juneayerza (Post 7095017)
First time I ever saw cubed sugar it came with the polio vaccine in it.

Sounds familiar.

selm 02-18-2015 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 7094774)
is that true, rice was never served for dinner? I was born in '59, and had rice with chicken in about '65 or so.

We only had rice when my mother made turkey soup. She couldn't make it without it lumping up on her she said . I first had it as a side dish after I became an adult. Maybe it is processed differently as I don't have any problem making it. I'm from new england so maybe a regional thing.

selm 02-18-2015 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 7095237)
I came from New England, so Saturday night supper was codfish cakes, Boston baked beans, and B&M brown bread from a can. MMMMMM....

Me too. MMMMM

aronel 02-18-2015 04:04 PM

Thank you so much. This does take me back.

PenniF 02-18-2015 04:41 PM

That was GREAT!!....and we had rice with our pigs in a blanket (cabbage rolls)............Don't forget corned beef hash from a can !! LOVE that stuff !! and fried Spam with eggs..... Woo Hoo !!!