Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   eBook readers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/ebook-readers-t91213.html)

SLHughes 01-16-2011 07:43 PM

I have heard great reviews on all of the eReaders ... I have a Kobo eReader and have never had a problem with it ... it has WiFi and you can download books from the eReader also. It comes with 100 classic novels and it gives you a coupon code to download to recent books. It can hold up to 1000 books and it stays charged for about 2 weeks. You can also download books from your local library. Kobo just had a big sale on ebooks for 99 cents. You also can buy a memory card for it if you need more room to save books. :)

husband-of-a-quilter 01-16-2011 07:48 PM

My wife has the Nook Color which is a fantastic device. And I have the Nook WiFi with 3g which I really like. After a lot of research we decided on the Nooks and so far have been very happy with them. With the Nook we get all kinds of stuff when you use it in a Barns and Nobel store. There is a fantastic deal on the Nook WiFi and WiFi with 3g on Overstock, that is where I got mine.

frugalfabrics 01-16-2011 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by feffertim
I like my Ipad because I can get books from Amazon, borders and Apple. Really nice that I can use it for other things too like the internet, e mail, games etc.

How much is an Ipad ?

feffertim 01-16-2011 09:04 PM

the least expensive one is 499. Then if you want to add the phone feature, it costs a little more. Go to apple.com and see it demo'd

frugalfabrics 01-16-2011 09:18 PM

I thought I saw an IPad listed at walmart for 229 or 299...

ErinMarie 01-16-2011 09:20 PM

I have had my nook since September, and absolutely love it. Wish I had waited for color one, but I use it everyday, as does my oldest daughter.

Besides all the free books at bn.com, I can buy books from other online sources, like my employer. I need to sideload them and they are stored in my documents, rather than my main shelf/library, but that's ok. If borrowing from the library is something important and you're considering the kindle, check out the message boards and see if there is a workaround.

For immediate ease of use, straight out of the box, fitting all needs of e-reader, email, music,etc., I'd pick the ipad.

Airwick156 01-16-2011 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by myradean
I've had my Kindle for two years now and I still use it every day. I hate that Amanzon.com feels the need to raise the book prices, but it's still cheaper than buying a new hardback and storage is much easier. Very, very pleased with customer service from Amazon.com and with the equipment itself, user friendly, even for someone as non-technie as I am. I would probably cry if something happened to it.

I also have a kindle. I've had mine for about 1 1/2 years. I love it. I don't read as much as I used to but I do read. I like it because you are able to make the type Larger. And I need that as I am very visually handicapped. My daughter had bought a Sony (I think that was the name) from Staples. She had so much trouble with that so she returned it and they were not very nice to her, but they allowed her to return it and what she did was just exchanged it because she really wanted one and she reads ALL THE TIME. Never see her not reading if shes not doing something. Anyways she returned it 3 times by the time she was done and made them give her her money back. She was so disappointed. And now shes back to reading regular books. :(

trisha 01-16-2011 09:43 PM

Love my Kindle. Got it for christmas. I didn't need one with all the bells and whistles, I just wanted to read. Amazon has amazingbooks and games. Have not had to pay for any books yet, because I got so many free ones. Just sayin.

feffertim 01-17-2011 05:52 AM

I don't think so. Apple pretty much controls the prices.

feffertim 01-17-2011 05:58 AM

I just got an online add today from Borders, they are advertising a Kobe for $99.99 with coupon. Get the coupon on their website