Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Election judges (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/election-judges-t291820.html)

Geri B 10-13-2017 03:37 AM

Election judges

I have been one for several years......yes, it's a very long day and the pay is minimal, but love visiting with other judges and voters.....

rec'd a newsletter- something new- regarding upcoming mandatory classes with new rules/regs ......wow...but also, the board is looking for more judges....from juniors and seniors in high school. Something about that just rubs me wrong......elections are on a school day. I just can't imagine a teen dealing with voting situations...not registered-now we can register on Election Day...but doing the necessary paperwork right on the spot, moved- new addy- different precinct...yada, yada .......maybe I'm just being an old fuddy-duddy...wonder if this is happening in other states too.

Wanabee Quiltin 10-13-2017 06:22 AM

I agree, why would we allow such young people this responsibility?

cashs_mom 10-13-2017 06:35 AM

I haven't heard about that but I agree with teens being too young. I would think you'd have to at least be voting age and I'd prefer people who are actually out and working and paying their own way. At least, they have a bit more of an idea of what the world is about. I can't imagine a 16 year old, not matter how mature, being able to deal with the situations that could arise.

Onebyone 10-13-2017 07:30 AM

Yes, a day out of class with credit! What student wouldn't sign up. The board is really out of touch with reality.

KalamaQuilts 10-13-2017 11:26 AM

do you mean voting in local and national elections or for quilt shows?

kyquiltlover1942 10-14-2017 03:47 AM

My 17 yr old granddaughter, worked the at the last pres. election. She did not doing anything with the actual voting, but directed them to the right line, She said it was a honor to have a part in the process before she could actually vote.

SusieQOH 10-14-2017 04:25 AM

I think it's a great experience for young people to learn about the process. Kids that age are smart! I don't see why there would be anything wrong with it.

Chris Denno 10-14-2017 05:02 AM

I disagree, I think they lack knowledge and common sense. They seem to know about music, TV, movies and sports....and not much else. Here 18 year old HS students can vote for the school budget even though they have NO part in paying for it. To me that is just wrong.

"Kids that age are smart!"

tranum 10-14-2017 12:30 PM

I know a high school Government teacher that had all his 18 year old students complete voter registration cards, then he brought them to the school office for mailing to the County Auditor. Trouble is, he brought them AFTER the deadline for voter registration! Appears he didn’t know there was a deadline ?? The students could vote in the next election, but not the pending one.

MarleneC 10-14-2017 01:46 PM

I would want them at least old enough to vote and to be registered. I'm so used to our seniors handling the voting here.

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 7924098)
I have been one for several years......yes, it's a very long day and the pay is minimal, but love visiting with other judges and voters.....

rec'd a newsletter- something new- regarding upcoming mandatory classes with new rules/regs ......wow...but also, the board is looking for more judges....from juniors and seniors in high school. Something about that just rubs me wrong......elections are on a school day. I just can't imagine a teen dealing with voting situations...not registered-now we can register on Election Day...but doing the necessary paperwork right on the spot, moved- new addy- different precinct...yada, yada .......maybe I'm just being an old fuddy-duddy...wonder if this is happening in other states too.