Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   electric fireplace (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/electric-fireplace-t274327.html)

ranger 01-10-2016 04:24 AM

electric fireplace

I can't decide whether to have a wall mounted or floor mantel-type fireplace. I'd like opinions from you to haep with my decision. I am leaning towards wall mount but my living area is large and the mantel type may be a better choice. What are the pros and cons? Which type do you like and why?
Thank you.

ManiacQuilter2 01-10-2016 07:54 AM

I always thought that the mantel types were the nicest. A neighbor has a mantel one in her apt. Just make sure that it will give you the heat efficiently.

Tartan 01-10-2016 08:12 AM

My son has a unit that looks like a fireplace but it is movable which for them was a big plus. They had it in the living room but moved it downstairs to the TV room since it needed a but more heat.

romanojg 01-10-2016 09:12 AM

I bought a floor one. The biggest advantage is that I can rearrange my living room or move it out to vacuum it out at will. I don't have to worry about working my furniture around an non moveable piece. I did have a problem finding one that was energy efficient and ended up having to order it online but that was a priority. I keep my TV on top of it

rjwilder 01-11-2016 07:54 AM

The floor models are moveable and still look nice. They come with or without mantels. They are basically a space heater and not very energy efficient. The suck up a lot of electricity. We sold ours.

romanojg 01-11-2016 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by rjwilder (Post 7430736)
The floor models are moveable and still look nice. They come with or without mantels. They are basically a space heater and not very energy efficient. The suck up a lot of electricity. We sold ours.

This is why I looked around and finally found one that was, they can be expensive to use

Tumdarra 01-11-2016 01:50 PM

we have a floor model electric fireplace which is also has cupboards on each side and place on top of fireplace for the tv gadgets and holds the tv on the top. We like it, give us a tv stand/place for movies/plus the cozyness of the fireplace

BETTY62 01-11-2016 09:01 PM

I have one that has a mantel and looks like a real fireplace. It is cost efficient to operate and has a thermostat so you can control the amount of heat generated. I love it.

quiltingcandy 01-11-2016 10:14 PM

My friend got one that fits under her wall mounted TV. Main reason she wanted it there is because when she needs it, she is watching TV, and it is also next to the kitchen so helps that area also.

Remember heat rises, so if you put it up on a wall you lose some of the heat.

misskitty5 01-13-2016 09:41 AM

Whatever you decide a blower is a necessity to get heat distributed. My daughter installed a small gas log in her fireplace with no blower and it was useless.