Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Embroidering baby clothes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/embroidering-baby-clothes-t242813.html)

romille 03-08-2014 08:36 PM

Embroidering baby clothes

I recently got an embroidery machine, so I am still really new to the craft. All of the baby clothes we buy with embroidery has some sort of soft meshy stuff over the back of the embroidery so that it doesn't irritate the baby's skin. What is this stuff called?

Thanks!

Cactus Stitchin 03-08-2014 09:01 PM

There are a number of options; a couple of my favorites are Floriani's Dream Weave Ultra or Floriani No Show Mesh. one of the major things to consider in choosing what to fuse on the backside would be the drape of the garment fabric, especially if it is a knit, or stretchy fabric.

romanojg 03-09-2014 04:07 AM

I use and love Floriani No Show Mesh on the back and then I use WS on the front, it helps keep the design from sinking in,especially with fonts.

farmquilter 03-09-2014 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg (Post 6616737)
I use and love Floriani No Show Mesh on the back and then I use WS on the front, it helps keep the design from sinking in,especially with fonts.

That is what I do also and works wonderful.

piepatch 03-10-2014 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg (Post 6616737)

I would like to know what WS is?

romanojg 03-10-2014 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by piepatch (Post 6618754)
I would like to know what WS is?

I'm sorry, its water soluable. After you finish the embroidery you spritz or wet it and the stabilizer disolves. Its great for free standing lace or in this case, you don't want it to show on top of the t-shirt but you need it to keep your design from sinking into the fabric, I use it anytime I do fonts too. You can find it where it looks like a mesh fabric or you can also find it clear, where it looks like plastic. I normally buy the clear on the bolt at Joann's or Hancocks and use the coupons to make it cheaper. Hope this helps

piepatch 03-10-2014 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg (Post 6618811)
I'm sorry, its water soluable. After you finish the embroidery you spritz or wet it and the stabilizer disolves. Its great for free standing lace or in this case, you don't want it to show on top of the t-shirt but you need it to keep your design from sinking into the fabric, I use it anytime I do fonts too. You can find it where it looks like a mesh fabric or you can also find it clear, where it looks like plastic. I normally buy the clear on the bolt at Joann's or Hancocks and use the coupons to make it cheaper. Hope this helps

Thanks romanojg! Glad to have that information. I knew of water soluble stabilizer, but had never used it, and had actually forgotten it existed.

shasta5718 03-10-2014 09:36 AM

You need to contact your dealer and ask for classes on how to use your machine. Most have them and they should be free with your purchase.