Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Embroidery Help needed.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/embroidery-help-needed-t184753.html)

mythreesuns 04-02-2012 03:45 AM

Embroidery Help needed....

I did a horse on the back of a sweatshirt jacket for my grandaughter. I did very well as far as no puckers etc.. my issue is, the edges of each color used shows the bobbin thread. So I have all this white bobbin thread showing. Now I have a ruined jacket, as I can not ask anyone to wear this. Why does this happen?? I did a beautiful cross and crown before this and had no issues. I was told I did not have to use the same color in the bobbin as I did the top. So I am to chicken to do another, to just end up ruining another jacket.. as they are not cheap. So frustrated here... can anyone help me with this issue??

js3830 04-02-2012 03:58 AM

I have heard that some people use permanant markers to cover up the white bobbin thread. I think they mean the kind of pins or markers they use to make labels for their quilts. When I use my embroidery unit, I never use the machine setting. I make the bobbin tighter so that it will pull more of the top theard under the fabric. I change the setting from (example) 3.0 to 2.4. I hope this makes since and also helps. Sandy

mythreesuns 04-02-2012 04:30 AM

I guess I have no idea how to change a setting on an embroidery machine. I will have to look into the markers. Thanks for the tips.

Crqltr 04-02-2012 04:43 AM

Try a perm marker over the white thread before you pitch the jacket..it does work if you can match it or blend colors.

mythreesuns 04-02-2012 05:26 AM

I understand the how to repair the item..but how do I prevent it from happening again? What am I doing wrong?

Tartan 04-02-2012 05:34 AM

Changing the bobbin tension to a little tighter is your best option. If you can't do that, you could maybe tighten the bottom tension by using a slightly thicker thread? I don't have an embroidery machine so I don't have much advice. I would try matching the bottom thread to the top as much as possible with a medium grey? You could also try a thicker stabilizer because I would think that would be harder for the bobbin thread to come up through it?

TanyaL 04-02-2012 05:53 AM

I always match the bobbin thread because I hate to have the problem you have. I also hate to see the inside of a jacket, or a towel or anything done in a solid color when the right side is multi-colored. It takes longer to do, but I think the job is much better looking. Otherwise, reduce the tension on your top thread.

js3830 04-02-2012 05:59 AM

I have a Designer Diamond and when I bring up the design and am ready to start, down in the left hand corner is a plus and minus display and in between are two lines that show the balance between the bobbin and upper thread. Standard for my machine is 2.8 and I hit the minus until it is 2.4. This may loosen the upper thread so that the bobbin pulls more of the upper thread down under. Sandy

Nanamoms 04-02-2012 05:35 PM

I think my Brother PE700II is set at 2.4. I do occasionally have the white bobbin show thru but not enough that a same-color marker can't fix it. Also sometimes it is simply the digitizing that is not done correctly. I have had some designs that had tiny skips and even when I back step and stitch over, the skip is still there. So frustrating!

QuiltnLady1 04-02-2012 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL (Post 5110009)
I always match the bobbin thread because I hate to have the problem you have. I also hate to see the inside of a jacket, or a towel or anything done in a solid color when the right side is multi-colored. It takes longer to do, but I think the job is much better looking. Otherwise, reduce the tension on your top thread.

This is what I do -- I match the bobbin thread to the top thread.