Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   epidural question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/epidural-question-t91189.html)

Maride 01-16-2011 05:32 PM

I chose an epidural for my first one after 8 hours in labor and it was a good thing. I needed an emergency C-section and it took 5 minutes for the baby to come out from the moment the decision was made. If I had chosen not to have one they would have had to either knock me out of give me the epidural, wait for it to work, and then do the C-section. If I had not have it, I may not have a beautiful 23 year old daughter today. For my second one I asked for it the second I walked into the hospital and had an emergency c-section again. To me it was more of a preventive measure.

They say that there are too many c-sections done, but in my case I couldn't give birth naturally because of the shape of my bones. The third one was a c-section immediately.

amma 01-16-2011 05:32 PM

Typically, you have to be dilated to a certain point before you are given one, it can stop your contractions.
Also, if you are too far along (dilated) when you get to the hospital, they may not give you one LOL if they think you are going to deliver fairly soon :roll: :D:D:D

sueisallaboutquilts 01-16-2011 05:43 PM

She can get one safely but it won't be STAT lol
They won't give it to her until she's ready. That depends on dilation.
I loved having one. They gave me it when I had my second baby.
I could "see" the contractions on the monitor but didn't feel them :D

denise d 01-16-2011 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Typically, you have to be dilated to a certain point before you are given one, it can stop your contractions.
Also, if you are too far along (dilated) when you get to the hospital, they may not give you one LOL if they think you are going to deliver fairly soon :roll: :D:D:D

I wish that was always the case. With baby #2, I got the epidural and then they checked me. I was 9 1/2 cm dilated. I waited for 5 hours listening to the heart monitor ebb and flow with every contraction. It was the most nerve racking 5 hours of my life.

Up North 01-16-2011 05:53 PM

Sorry I am totally against them! I had 5 boys weighing up to 10bs 13 oz without and I do not remember much of labor~~I think they make newborns drowsy!! I just think natural is the way to go! Just my opinion.

stpatmom 01-16-2011 05:55 PM

I had one with each of my three. on my third the first dose wore off just as it was time to push. I felt everything but it wasn't too bad. the second dose kicked in right after birth in time for the stitching. if ihad another baby I would still get the epidural.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 01-16-2011 05:59 PM

Child birth is a personal thing. Everyone's experience is different. Some women seem to shoot out babies without a thought. Some women suffer and need meds.

All you, as a Grandma, can do is trust the doctor your daughter picked to do the right thing.

According to my mother, it is much, much harder to watch your daughter go through pregnancy and child birth than to do it yourself.

amandasgramma 01-16-2011 06:02 PM

I had natural childbirth --- if I were to do it again -- I'd have an epidural......and a Mai Tai.......and morphine........and and and............ :)

sueisallaboutquilts 01-16-2011 06:10 PM

Dee, you crack me up! hahaha

amazon 01-16-2011 06:27 PM

I am torn about giving advice, after 4 overdue babies and being adament about natural delivery, but having to be induced with all 4, I will say this. If I had to be induced again ,I would have one hands down,if not I would try without it. My Dr. told me that induced labor is stronger and usually more painful.My first was after 3 days of on & off inducing, delivered 8 hrs later,second was at almost 8cm, third was almost two late and 4th one I finally decided that my body liked to stay pregnant and needed all the help it could get , so I got it at 3 cm and WOW what a difference, I told the tech to give me just enough to knock the pain , but that I could still feel, he nailed it. I was able to rest in between contractions and work when I had the contraction and could still feel a little, I got it all, that time; the mirror,one of the new beds with the hand holds in the bed center and was able to truthfully enjoy the whole birth process. That said I do believe that it makes the babies groggy because with my third where the epidural was almost to late , he was more alert and nursed stronger and longer compared to the others. Sorry so long and hope it helps. :-D