Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   epidural question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/epidural-question-t91189.html)

pinecone 01-16-2011 05:18 PM

As a grandmom-to-be I am wondering about epidurals. My DD thinks she would like one STAT when she enter the hospital. Now back in the day many took Lamaze classes and had the baby without drugs. I was one of those and am wondering about the safety both for Mom and baby. Thanks for any insight.

piney

Jennifer22206 01-16-2011 05:21 PM

I didn't want one, but I wound up getting one after I was in labor for 20 hours and felt like I just needed to rest. It relaxed me enough to the point I had my daughter an hour after I got the epidural. Without it, I probably would have had to have a C-Section. My daughter was 10 pounds 2 oz at birth and I didn't feel a thing.

erstan947 01-16-2011 05:22 PM

I would not want to have a tooth pulled with out any meds.
Natural birth was not for me:)

shequilts 01-16-2011 05:22 PM

As one who once taught LazMaze classes, I can tell you this is the way to go. Why suffer? It does not harm the baby and can allow the Mom to cooperate better.

Cyn 01-16-2011 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
I didn't want one, but I wound up getting one after I was in labor for 20 hours and felt like I just needed to rest. It relaxed me enough to the point I had my daughter an hour after I got the epidural. Without it, I probably would have had to have a C-Section. My daughter was 10 pounds 2 oz at birth and I didn't feel a thing.

I finally got one too with my 10lb 2 oz baby girl but still ended up with a section. She's a slim 5ft 9in blond beauty now at 24 :)

Quiltforme 01-16-2011 05:25 PM

I had 2 and one natural. Epidurals are safer there are risk like anything but rest assured let her do what she needs to do. Why be in pain when you can actually enjoy giving birth.

Pat P 01-16-2011 05:26 PM

My daughther had an epidural for all three of her children and got along fine. On her first child as one of the Drs. was giving it toher she was doubled over and trying to sit still and was in labor and the Dr. sort of barked at her to 'sit still" , as my hands were going for his throat my daughter gave me the LOOK-DON'T do it Mom, but we both survived her birthing! he he he

cathyvv 01-16-2011 05:29 PM

I had an epidural with my youngest child - 27 years ago. She was born via c-section. No problems with her or with me.

denise d 01-16-2011 05:31 PM

Had one with both of my kids.... did not really need it for either.

If she thinks she wants one, absolutely get one. I just recommend having an open mind and seeing if it is as bad as she thinks it will be

moonwork42029 01-16-2011 05:31 PM

My DIL had babies both ways, one with and the 2nd one without. Now that she's due with #3 (got to get those kids another hobby) she says she doesn't want one again. She said she really didn't like not being able to feel her legs and having to have help with them the first time around.

I don't think they will do one STAT on her...she has to be dilated to a certain point before they do them or it could wear off before the baby is born.

Congrats.... I think its harder on us watching& waiting than it is on them.