Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Europe vacation 2012 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/europe-vacation-2012-a-t163187.html)

traumaRN 10-25-2011 02:01 PM

I need advice/ideas for places to see. My DD is studying abroad next semester and will be in Luxemborg for 5 mos. I will be going to see her over spring break in April. When my oldest went her jr year we saw Paris and Rome. This time my DD will be finishing up her studies in Germany just before I get there. I was thinking Prague, Vienna and Salzberg, but am open to any advice you travellers might offer. Thanks!

QuiltnNan 10-25-2011 02:03 PM

i loved the small German towns. they had so much character. and everyone sweeps the street in front of their home... always neat and clean

Debbie C 10-25-2011 02:04 PM

my favorite little town in Germany - Leipzig! Hope you get there!

thimblebug6000 10-25-2011 02:11 PM

Hope others can give you insight into the places you mentioned above Prague, Vienna and Salzberg, unfortunately I haven't been to them either but have spent the last 29 years visiting Germany, always ending up in Berlin (DH's family), but so many wonderful little spots to check out if you plan to rent a car or use the fantastic transportation system over there. Would you have time to do a Rivers of Europe trip? My friend did that this past year & absolutely loved it, and there were quite a few optional tours along the way as well.

Cherylsea 10-25-2011 02:11 PM

My parents did a barge trip down the Danube, a new city every day but the barge (which is a misnomer as they are very nice) is your home. Sounds like a great way to see a lot without a lot of hassle.

thimblebug6000 10-25-2011 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Debbie C
my favorite little town in Germany - Leipzig! Hope you get there!

Just wondered if you could give me a little more info on Leipzig... when we traveled through we found it very industrial being in the former east, but if there's something we could check out in particular, I would really like to know, thanks so much! ( DH has distant cousins there & we would enjoy a visit with them next time)

Mrs B 10-25-2011 02:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Vienna is wonderful, the Shonbrun Castle, the public buildings, Zucher chocolate cake and Vienna coffee, Mozart and music. Loved it.

traumaRN 10-25-2011 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs B
Vienna is wonderful, the Shonbrun Castle, the public buildings, Zucher chocolate cake and Vienna coffee, Mozart and music. Loved it.

Oh goodness, looks yummy! Thanks for sharing

DanaMargaret 10-25-2011 03:44 PM

Look into the town of Bruge, Belgium. It is known as the Venice of the North because of it's canals. Very beautiful town! There are also a few shops that feature lace making the old fashioned way... Very intricate!