Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Ever have a day like this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/ever-have-day-like-t175692.html)

Jan Rutherford 01-16-2012 09:08 PM

I am sure glad to have jumped onto the computer for some good laughs at the QB stuff... I think everyone has days of things that just don't go right! But the tampons in the freezer.. that MADE my day for the best laugh!!!! I bet every single woman has had these stupid things end up SOMEWHERE odd TEEHEE!

booklady 01-16-2012 09:08 PM

My DD will check the date on everything here at my house and her Grandmothers! I might use it, depending on what it is or who is eating it. Have really cut back on extras around the house since she moved to college! We have to check before deciding to make something so we have all ingredients. Use to be I could cook for two weeks out of the freezer and pantry. Not anymore!

P.S. I do love the tampon story.

nstitches4u 01-16-2012 10:04 PM

I work at the Food Pantry at our church. Our guidelines say that canned goods are safe for 2 years past the "sell by" date.

Grannyh67 01-17-2012 06:49 AM

LOL, I just love this, It makes me feel like home. I can relate to most of this. I read this almost every day. It takes up a lot of my time but I love reading these posts. Love it, especially the one about the Tampons in the freezer. Good laugh for the day. Granny

sparkys_mom 01-17-2012 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK (Post 4877872)
I worked in a grocery store for 10 years. The best before on canned goods is really there so that the stock gets rotated. The amount of stuff that North America throws into the garbage is disgusting. .

There was an interesting show on Food Network last week that involved 4 of the FN chefs preparing meals from products that were being discarded. Absolutely nothing wrong with the food other than, for the most part, not perfect appearance. When I think of the numbers of people in this country that go hungry every day it sickens me.

Olivia's Grammy 01-17-2012 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by nstitches4u (Post 4882539)
I work at the Food Pantry at our church. Our guidelines say that canned goods are safe for 2 years past the "sell by" date.

I also keep my church pantry stocked. Where did you get the info about "canned goods safe for 2 years passed the "sell by date"?

One of my biggest problems in our food pantry is people bringing opened products.

DoxieMom 01-17-2012 03:53 PM

From what I've read, boiling does kill bacteria, but it doesn't remove or take care of any toxins that may have been produced by the bacteria and apparently it's the toxins that are dangerous. That being said, I do use some outdated goods as long as there are no signs of spoilage and they're not way out of date. (And I don't tell DH because he thinks food will instantly kill you if it's outdated by one single day... LOL.)

grandma nurse 01-17-2012 06:29 PM

Just wondering, are you able to share the recipies. They both sound good.

carolynjo 01-17-2012 07:02 PM

Sounds like my day today. Don'tcha know, only women have days like that because we are trying to keep up with 100 or more things that need to be done.

Margie 01-17-2012 07:26 PM

I dont use out of date....not worth the small amount of money if someone should get sick, will cost a lot more in money and discomfort.