Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Fabric Art - Decor - Gift ideas (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/fabric-art-decor-gift-ideas-t271937.html)

DJ 11-06-2015 08:10 AM

Fabric Art - Decor - Gift ideas

4 Attachment(s)
This post is inspired by copycat
http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...m-t271928.html
Just thought I'd share what I have done using fabric as artwork.

The first picture is Christmas fabrics decoupaged onto foam core boards. I hang them in the bathroom for the holidays. I also decoupaged some of the fabric onto hand soap containers and sewed to hand towels.
The second one is fabric stretched over an artist canvas ... also decoupaged.
The third is fabric stretched in embroidery hoops. These have insulation board behind them, and I can use them over my sewing machine as a bulletin board.
The last one is fabric upon which I appliqued the hummingbirds and framed. This is in the bathroom. I used some of the fabric for a tissue box cover and a stretchy band on the waste basket to hold the plastic garbage bag. Wish I had enough for a toilet bowl cover. I love matchy-matchy!

Pollytink 11-06-2015 10:22 AM

Great ideas, both yours and copycats! I have lots of fabrics that would make nice pieces like these!

ManiacQuilter2 11-06-2015 10:34 AM

Very interesting technique.

copycat 11-07-2015 03:41 AM

Thank you for sharing photos of your great ideas! I have not heard of decoupaging the fabric and using foam board.
Your corners look so crisp. I found the corners challenging. What is your method for folding the fabric at the corners and do you use a staple gun on the stretched canvas? Thank you!

Seaside gal 11-07-2015 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by copycat (Post 7368603)
Thank you for sharing photos of your great ideas! I have not heard of decoupaging the fabric and using foam board.
Your corners look so crisp. I found the corners challenging. What is your method for folding the fabric at the corners and do you use a staple gun on the stretched canvas? Thank you!

DJ, I was wondering that too. How do you make the corners?

crafty pat 11-07-2015 10:42 AM

What a wonderful way to use that fabric that is so pretty you don't want to cut into it and use it in a quilt. I have several that I just have not been able cut up that would be so beautiful over a canvas. Thank you for the idea.

DJ 11-15-2015 11:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by copycat (Post 7368603)

Thank you all!

Sorry for the late response to your questions. We are in AK with newborn grandchild. I like the foam core board because it is light weight. I'm not sure if in the future I would use decoupage glue or not. The fabric tends to want to bubble and is rather hard to get it totally flat. Recently, I did something similar using the foam core board, but I used batting behind the fabric with some temporary spray basting (505) to hold it all in place while I wrapped it and finished the corners. I did use a regular desk stapler to hold the fabric on the back. I did the corners pretty much like wrapping a present. When I had the batting underneath, I clipped some of it out of the corners to reduce the bulk. Of course, the corners are the hardest part. I'll post a copy of my most recent project using foam core board, batting, and fabric. I also wrapped a ribbon around the edge and used decorative pins around the edge for additional décor and stability. I hope these ideas are helpful and I'd love to see what others are coming up with.