Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Fabric/Craft supply Hoarders on TV (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/fabric-craft-supply-hoarders-tv-t154256.html)

Honeynga 09-19-2011 04:06 PM

Happen to stumble across a hoarders segment on tv last night and had to quickly change the channel.....hoarder had bins upon bins of fabric and craft supplies.....Really, it was scary! Anyone see it and what did you think?

Lori S 09-19-2011 04:11 PM

I saw it too! Interesting that just prior to watching I had one of my shelves of fabric fall over on me... No I was not hurt ... but as I was in the middle of all the fabric around me on the floor and thinking I would never get it all back on the shelf ..... I felt like I was in an episode of Hoarders ... then the show came on .... Maybe someone is trying to tell me something.
I think it was a "scared straight" for those who have a bit of an issue with "just one more yard".

Greenheron 09-19-2011 04:16 PM

I think it is loathsome to display people with mental illnesses on television as entertainment.

Collecting material for an ACTIVE current hobby is not hoarding. Collecting and stacking for an indefinite "someday" hobby is a red flag or worse.

virtualbernie 09-19-2011 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Greenheron
I think it is loathsome to display people with mental illnesses on television as entertainment.

Collecting material for an ACTIVE current hobby is not hoarding. Collecting and stacking for an indefinite "someday" hobby is a red flag or worse.

I agree!

auntpiggylpn 09-19-2011 04:41 PM

I really dislike these kinds of shows. I think that it exploits someone's unfortunate mental illness for public entertainment.

hopetoquilt 09-19-2011 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Greenheron

I watch the show. They don't mock the people and I think they bring awareness to a mental disorder and give friends/relatives an understanding of the illness and a way to approach helping someone that is more effective than just "tossing everything."

Collecting material for an active hobby can become hoarding if (like anything else) it is done to an extreme and interferes with a person's ability to function.

ontheriver 09-19-2011 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
I really dislike these kinds of shows. I think that it exploits someone's unfortunate mental illness for public entertainment.

I agree. I really don't care for any of the reality shows on TV, I just don't think they are entertainment.

Jill 09-19-2011 05:23 PM

I agree. I really don't care for any of the reality shows on TV, I just don't think they are entertainment.
Thank goodness--I'm so happy to see someone else agrees with me. DH and I watch very little on TV anymore because so much of it is "supposedly" reality.

leatheflea 09-19-2011 05:33 PM

I think its a good show, they are getting help, whats wrong with that? I stop buying so much fabric after seeing this show a few times! I say congrats to those who have the guts to go on national tv and clean up their act! Education, although hard to watch sometimes.

Rosyhf 09-19-2011 05:50 PM

I don't watch reality shows, especially the hoarders. I have seen some passing the tv and watched a bit but no way will I just sit there and watch that kind of sadness and sickness..

I love fabric but there is a limit and all of it is in it's place. I have not and will not purchase fabric if I dont'have a place to put it. I dont' need anymore fabric till the day I die lol....I must be mentally stable lol.