Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Fabric dress up dolls fashion show (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/fabric-dress-up-dolls-fashion-show-t274906.html)

copycat 01-24-2016 03:00 AM

Fabric dress up dolls fashion show

2 Attachment(s)
Here is the story behind these fabric dress up dolls. :

I paid $5 for them at a quilt show. At home I realized the dolls bodies had to be refused as they were peeling off the fusible interfacing. The outfits were fused to batting. Each dress and shoes had tabs to fold back to hold the outfit to the doll. The batting backed tabs were too bulky to fold over to hold the out fit to the doll. I decided to sew Velcro to the tabs and the back of the dolls to hold outfits to the dolls.
Next I put fray check around cut out doll edges and outfit/shoe edges because of the unraveling edges and thread ends everywhere. Now the girls are ready for a fashion show. I may give these to a great niece who will become a big sister for the second time. She is 4 yrs. old. I hope both photos show up.

mandyrose 01-24-2016 03:19 AM

so cute......brings back memeries back in the day when i would get the besty mccall cut outs

cindyb 01-24-2016 05:34 AM

I have these also and love them. I've gotten this far also, using a med weight fusible and a zig zag in a neutral flesh color thread. Now, I want something for g'kids to stick them to when playing with them and dressing them. Couple of thoughts, houses with rooms on a quilt, maybe a 3 ring binder with flannel, many things going through my head - but there is a time line on this - don't want it to be a UFO and finish it when they are in their teens!!!! LOL

roguequilter 01-24-2016 10:11 AM

i was raised by my grandmother. every month she made a point of getting current mc call mag and giving me the latest betsy mc call paper doll to add to my growing collection. tried paper dolls w my grands ..but they prefer techie stuff or drawing.

lynnie 01-24-2016 10:30 AM

those are darling. Remind me too of Betsy McCall.

copycat 01-25-2016 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by cindyb (Post 7443740)
I have these also and love them. I've gotten this far also, using a med weight fusible and a zig zag in a neutral flesh color thread. Now, I want something for g'kids to stick them to when playing with them and dressing them. Couple of thoughts, houses with rooms on a quilt, maybe a 3 ring binder with flannel, many things going through my head - but there is a time line on this - don't want it to be a UFO and finish it when they are in their teens!!!! LOL

I like your idea of a quilt with rooms. Have fun!

tenngal 01-25-2016 05:21 AM

I love these old pieces, especially for those small granddaughters of ours

Karamarie 01-25-2016 05:26 AM

I would frame them and put on a wall in my sewing room. Bring back memories.

lwbuchholz 01-25-2016 06:03 AM

I love paper dolls and have downloaded a lot of them. I hadn't thought of putting them on fabric. I think I will try that. Thanks for the inspiration!!
Lynda

carolynjo 01-25-2016 06:48 AM

4 years old seems a bit young if the dolls are to survive for long, IMO. They are beautiful and I would hate to see them torn or destroyed in a short time.