Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Fabric Flexagon - Really fun little project! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/fabric-flexagon-really-fun-little-project-t247476.html)

mommysewist 05-27-2014 08:23 PM

6 Attachment(s)
This thread wasn't supposed to be in Pictures, sorry everyone. Here are my steps if anyone wants to see what I did.

I drew an equilateral triangle and used that for my diamond. Sides are 3" PLUS a 1/4" seam allowance added after I drew the diamond. The end pieces of the blue and the green row are the original equilateral triangle, again with the seam allowance added to each side.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]477112[/ATTACH]

Sew the diamonds together, you're just piecing diamonds.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]477113[/ATTACH]

Back view, I ironed all my seams in the same direction.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]477114[/ATTACH]

Then fold the pieced diamonds in half and piece the striped row to the blue row. You now have an inside out tube.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]477111[/ATTACH]

You stitch down the middle of every diamond, stuffing between. This part is awkward to sew, my seams weren't very straight. I wanted my sections really stuffed but it makes it hard for the sewing machine. I actually used my zipper foot so I could get as close to the stuffing as possible. If you really want perfect seams, don't stuff the sections too full.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]477115[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]477116[/ATTACH]

When your section's are stuffed and sewn, join the two ends together. I stitched them together by hand (to baste it) and then went over it with my machine.

MaryMo 05-27-2014 08:58 PM

Those would be great to make for fun gifts or craft booth. Thanks for sharing.

Teddybear Lady 05-27-2014 09:11 PM

Very interesting. I might have to make this and play with it myself. Thanks for sharing this with us.

zennia 05-28-2014 04:01 AM

This is perfect for nursing home residents to who need to keep hands busy. I can see it working keeping someone busy for a long time. Another use, teaching colors.
THANK YOU for the tutorial.

Geri B 05-28-2014 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by bjchad (Post 6733556)
This is great. Would love to see your pictures of your process. Perhaps you would post them in the tutorial section.

Yes, do that....looks like an interesting learning instrument...for want of better wordage......

mommysewist 05-28-2014 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 6734466)
Yes, do that....looks like an interesting learning instrument...for want of better wordage......

I don't know if I can post it in the tutorials? It was moved to this section. Sorry I don't know all the rules to this site.

willferg 05-28-2014 07:32 AM

I can't wait to try this – thanks for showing us how you did it! And yes, you should be able to post this in tutorials :)

diamondee 05-28-2014 08:10 AM

I would love to see your instructions, I'm a visual person as well.

QUILTNMO 05-28-2014 10:17 AM

wow how neat!!!

jbj137 05-28-2014 10:24 AM

*** Neat project
*** I know he will love it.