Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   fabric softener "crystals" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/fabric-softener-crystals-t253842.html)

jbud2 09-16-2014 07:31 AM

fabric softener "crystals"

Have you seen the "crystals" from several companies that you add to your washer load and acts as the fabric softener? Have you tried them? No where on the package does it say what happens to those crystals in your washer. Do they dissolve? If not, are they safe for septic systems? I have been on several websites and can't find the answer! Just wondering . . . .

kathy 09-16-2014 07:38 AM

they are just for the smell, not for softening, they do dissolve, when I use them I put them in the rinse, not the wash, it took a long time for me to try because they are so pricey.

Quilting Grandma 09-16-2014 04:44 PM

They are pricey, but work well. 20 year old grandson stayed with us for the summer and his soccer clothes were to put it mildly, odiferous. One bottle lasted for the summer. I has forgotten all about smelly sports clothes, our last kid left home 30 years ago.

sept97 09-17-2014 03:16 AM

I put them in my wax melter (you put a tea light at the bottle and it melts wax at the top) best yet

tkee 09-17-2014 04:30 AM

They are very strong and not for those with allergies. They almost caused me to have an asthma attack, and I'm not usually sensitive.

RV Quilter 09-17-2014 04:31 AM

My daughter uses them as a softener and puts them in with her wash. Good smelling, no static when removed from dryer. Towels fresh smelling and soft. Tried them while visiting her.

Paula Fullager 09-17-2014 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by sept97 (Post 6892125)
I put them in my wax melter (you put a tea light at the bottle and it melts wax at the top) best yet

I'll have to try this. Thanks for the tip.

Onebyone 09-17-2014 05:23 AM

I haven't tried them. I just can't see me wasting time measuring detergent, measuring bleach, adding softener, adding fragrance to a load of wash. I toss in a Tide Pod, stick a 2 month dryer bar in the dryer and go on about my day.

willferg 09-17-2014 05:52 AM

I just found a new detergent, Biz. I was in the check out line when the woman in front of me enthusiastically told me how well the product worked, said it's great for stain removal. Lately my laundry doesn't seem to get clean enough, and I tried some kind of Tide booster pods that worked well but were pricey. I used this stuff along with my detergent yesterday and everything came out great, even my nephew's soiled work shirts that I could get clean before.

misseva 09-17-2014 09:33 AM

They are not a fabric softener but sure do make my towels & sheets smell good. I don't use as much as they recommend so a bottle lasts for quite a long time. I don't use it in the clothes I wear because it overpowers my perfume.