Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Fat Cardinal, Goldfinches and bluebirds (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/fat-cardinal-goldfinches-bluebirds-t219524.html)

Bobbielinks 04-19-2013 09:29 AM

Fat Cardinal, Goldfinches and bluebirds

3 Attachment(s)
Just 3 weeks ago I was feeding the birds in the snow. This is a very fat cardinal(lol) He is very timid so it took a while to catch him up close. I also was able to get a snapshot of several goldfinches. Now the male goldfinches have turned up their color to a bright yellow, the snow is gone and a pair of bluebirds have moved in. I so enjoy watching the birds! The male and female birdbirds worked really hard building their next; then I guess the female didn't like the way the male arranged it, so she threw out a lot of the twigs and built it to suit herself. (kind of sounds familiar)

quilter1 04-19-2013 09:37 AM

Isn't he a beauty, we have 2 pairs of cardinals in our yard as well as finches, doves, blackbirds, robins, orioles, chickadees, blue jays, sparrows and other visitors. I love to watch them. Every once in a while though, I will hear lots of chatter and sure enough, there is a huge falcon sitting somewhere, looking for lunch. He is magnificent but I wish he would go away and leave my family alone.

raynhamquilter 04-19-2013 09:53 AM

We had a red-winged blackbird yesterday! It was flying when I saw it. It perked me up!

quiltstringz 04-19-2013 09:55 AM

Well he sure didn't have a hard time finding food during the winter!

crafty pat 04-19-2013 09:58 AM

You have fed him well. I love the birds and love feeding and watching them.

QuiltnNan 04-19-2013 12:26 PM

beautiful birds. thanks for sharing

Mariposa 04-19-2013 12:28 PM

He's fat & sassy! Thanks for the great pics! :)

Luv Quilts and Cats 04-19-2013 03:43 PM

Great photos! I have a pair of Cardinals coming to the feeder. I don't know where they may nest, but they come every day. Today I saw my first goldfinch in bright yellow for the Spring. Now that I am working again, I am going to buy shelled peanuts for my wire tube feeder and may the Tufted Titmice, Nuthatches and Chickadees very happy again!
Oh, and the cardinal seems to be saying, "Hey Lady! I'm eatin' here!!!"

ging10ging 04-19-2013 04:10 PM

Your cardinal is a beauty and the gold finches so pretty. I love having the birds in the yard we have some we don't even know what some of them our but we have had a hawk come in the yard and steal a baby bird one year oh the screaming of the birds and the mother bird I felt so bad for her. We have some small birds that have red bellies and green backs and some of them are small birds all green but not a parrot. I hope they stay the summer. We also have cardinals and do. We also have a female cardianl that comes to the kitchen window and then the guest BR and then the computer/sewing rm until she finds me. She's so cute. The other night we had a Bobcat stroll thru our yard that was different. Sue

BCM 04-20-2013 05:33 AM

Your pictures are better than those found in my bird book. Thank you for sharing!