Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Feeding the Homeless/Needy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/feeding-homeless-needy-t162850.html)

cjomomma 10-24-2011 09:48 AM

I appreciate those of you who donate to help feed others. We have has to use services to have food in our home a couple of times and now I give back when I can. Trust me anything is appreciated even boxes of cereal.

bluteddi 10-24-2011 10:02 AM

we have 3 large drive in our small town to fill our Pantry. The postal works do one, the scouts do one, and the high school does one....

I tend to donate tuna, dried beans, rice, peanut butter, soups, oatmeal,crackers, veggies , powdered milk , our Dollar store has "juice boxes" of shelf stable 2% milk ( it actually tastes like milk!!( I'm allergic to milk.. so I only cook with it... and this works great for me.. no half gallon to go to waste) and what ever canned goods I bought to try and my family did not care for...
When my DH and I both still worked.. we always got a BIG turkey and or hams from work... way to much for just the 2 of use to eat... we donated these to food kitchens/ pantrys.

watterstide 10-24-2011 10:10 AM

Donate what you can..this is going to be a rough winter for a lot of people.

I do a lot of the freebies/samplers on line, including dog food, or the coupons you get for free items, get it and donate them.
every little bit helps.

i think it may be cheaper to get some canned meats at Gordons food service if you have one in your area.

Bless the giver and the ones that receive.

Painiacs 10-24-2011 10:51 AM

Tha good for u!!!

wanda lou 10-24-2011 11:22 AM

Donate what you can.
shelf stable foods canned veggies, beef stew and canned chicken is always good choices. I am sure what ever you donate will be needed.

Elise1 10-24-2011 11:55 AM

I have volunteered every week for the last 4 years at a local food pantry.

In our pantry, the most highly desired items for the majority of clients are staples: rice, pasta, cereals (like Cheerios), jar spaghetti sauce, and canned fruit.

Thank for helping.

Elise

jdiane318 10-24-2011 12:11 PM

I volunteer at our food bank and the most requested items are:
1. Peanut butter
2. Canned meats, tuna, chicken, vienna sausages
3. Fruits, applesauce, canned peaches, pears,
4. Canned veggies
5. Pasta
6. Evaporated milk
7. Soups

Because a lot of senior citizens get some of these items, a lot of cans now have the new 'pop-top' feature which makes for easier opening instead of using a can opener.

bearisgray 10-24-2011 12:16 PM

I

Originally Posted by jdiane318
I volunteer at our food bank and the most requested items are:
1. Peanut butter
2. Canned meats, tuna, chicken, vienna sausages
3. Fruits, applesauce, canned peaches, pears,
4. Canned veggies
5. Pasta
6. Evaporated milk
7. Soups

Because a lot of senior citizens get some of these items, a lot of cans now have the new 'pop-top' feature which makes for easier opening instead of using a can opener.

I understand that the "pop-top" is supposed to make life easier - and I can see that it would if one is living on the street - but sometimes I need a pliers to hold on to that little tab to be able to get it off.

Also - one needs to watch out for those edges - they are sharp!

Charleen DiSante 10-24-2011 12:18 PM

Up North: this is a great response. I work at a homeless shelter for families. Whenever a family arrives, we try put together something with protein, such as canned meat or tuna and veggies and a starch like pasta or potatoes and fruit. Kind of what would make a full meal or two until they can get to the store. (They often come with little more than a few bags with clothes.)

Originally Posted by Up North
Things they usually do not get are canned meats, tuna, chicken, corned beef, ham. Meat is the thing they can not afford. Pasta pasta sauce with meat, powdered milk.

Up North 10-24-2011 12:19 PM

I know a lot of things come with pop top lids now but how about a bunch of can openers? does everyone have something to open a can? Especially the homeless that live on the streets. I could eat cold soup if I could get the can open.