Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Feel so bad for a co-worker (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/feel-so-bad-co-worker-t49986.html)

littlehud 06-16-2010 06:25 PM

That is the pits. You don't realize just how dependent we have become to computers til they go down. I hope it works out OK for your friend.

pittsburgpam 06-16-2010 06:36 PM

I know he must be feeling horrible right now. Scared or anxious about what will happen and a sleepless night.

I know I would be.

julia58 06-16-2010 06:47 PM

Maybe he could come up with some way that this couldn't happen again, just a thought. The top dog would love something like this. Hope it all works out for him.

CarrieAnne 06-16-2010 07:09 PM

Gosh, I hope everything is okay, EVERYONE makes mistakes.....

BellaBoo 06-16-2010 07:33 PM

That's really lousy management to shove all the responsibility on a 17 year company employee. The company should have known this could happen. There is no way they didn't think something like this could ever not happen. Management looks like idiots right now and they know it. It's sad they are looking for a fall guy to place blame. He made a mistake but there should have been measures in place to lessen the outcome for such a mistake. If he is terminated, he has a great wrongful termination case.

b.zang 06-16-2010 07:52 PM

We're all human and make mistakes, but what a terrible feeling to know your mistake is broadcast over such a huge area.

I used to work in a print shop and it was very humbling when I saw my mistake on a business card reprinted 5000 times!

The important thing is to learn from mistakes. I hope your co-worker is given that chance.

amandasgramma 06-16-2010 08:00 PM

Yes, we all make mistakes......but upper management HAVE to have someone to dump on and unfortunately, they don't care what happens to that employee. It's as if them firing or punishing this employee will make others work better!!! The best employer will be understanding but stern about taking care in the future.

Cathy M 06-16-2010 11:23 PM

The big question to keep in mind in these situations is: Did anyone die? Was anyone physically harmed or in danger due to the mistake? Sometimes we get so wrapped up in how important we are, that we forget what is really important in life. Geesh, make the guy buy donuts for everyone and call it good. If I were you, I'd make sure to give the guy some sort of card or token to show your support of him. Life is way too short. Inconvenience is one thing, death is another.

amma 06-17-2010 09:15 AM

I am so sorry for your friend :( I hope they reconsider this punishment...

MadQuilter 06-17-2010 11:49 AM

Times like that I like to use the old saying: Feces occur. (aka Sh** happens) Not much he can do about it now - bet he will NEVER make this mistake again. Hope they are not too harsh with him.