Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Finally, victory! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/finally-victory-t299939.html)

themadpatter 10-01-2018 10:06 PM

Finally, victory!

We started moving June 1, officially ended June 30, and I finally found the Black Widow that's been hiding in my sewing room since then. I knew there was one in here somewhere because I'd find those nasty sticky webs of theirs. I saw it last night, but it scooted away before I could get it. Vacuumed it up today. HAHAHAHA!!!! Take that, dreaded arachnid.

JustAbitCrazy 10-02-2018 12:13 AM

Inside the house? Yuck! Years ago I saw one outside, but never inside. They make a very messy web, right? Where do you live?

SillySusan 10-02-2018 03:46 AM

Congratulations, brave one!!!

luvstoquilt 10-02-2018 04:11 AM

Oh my! So glad it is gone. Do they travel in pairs? I hate bugs, spiders and snakes!

institches33 10-02-2018 04:24 AM

To be double safe when vacuuming creepy critters, I spray bug spray in the vacuum as it's running. Got to be safe.

quiltsRfun 10-02-2018 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt (Post 8136465)
Do they travel in pairs?

Probably not - black widow. They eat the male after mating.

JanieH 10-02-2018 06:12 AM

Soooo glad you finally caught it! I would not be going in the room knowing it was there. I hate spiders inside but love them outside, their webs seem very magical. I am trying to negotiate a contract with them now, me, inside, them, outside.

nativetexan 10-02-2018 07:01 AM

I killed a scorpion long ago but never found the mate if there was one.

leonf 10-02-2018 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by institches33 (Post 8136474)
To be double safe when vacuuming creepy critters, I spray bug spray in the vacuum as it's running. Got to be safe.

Not sure how safe that is. I have a feeling that bug spray may be petroleum based. I wouldn't want to spray it near an electrical motor. You might check the label.

Snooze2978 10-02-2018 08:26 AM

Glad you got her. I lived in Florida and knew about some of our local spiders and of course my garage had their share of the black widows as I'd find their sacks under the ladder rungs. Didn't know there are also brown widows too. Had a bunch of them also. Hate spiders with a passion but glad to know my kitty loves to chase them and catch them. No widows here in Iowa that I know of..............doesn't mean we don't have them though. I find spiders rarely now that my kitty is on guard down here in the basement. I heard or read that leaving basil around deters bugs of all kinds so I hang fresh basil in my garages and basement and it seems to be helping as I rarely find a web or spider around. It also makes the basement and garages smell better too.....................that is if you like the smell of basil.....I do.