Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Finished my dress!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/finished-my-dress-t310749.html)

LogCabin82 04-26-2020 11:29 AM

Finished my dress!!

3 Attachment(s)
I used an old dress pattern Simplicity 8136 and I altered the size to make it bigger and added ruffles to it because I have been having too much fun with my new ruffler foot! I'm happy the way it turned out! Once I figured out how to serge the edges without the serger eating the delicate fabric, it made life a lot easier! :). The red dress is the same dress pattern, but I added a waist tie. Fun to see the different outcomes!! Anyone else garment sew?

pocoellie 04-26-2020 11:35 AM

I used to make all my granddaughter's school schools and an occasional something for me, but haven't made clothes in decades. LOL

Quiltah Mama 04-26-2020 12:54 PM

That came out really nice, that color looks good on you. I used to sew my daughters
Christmas dress when she was a toddler, and would do them without a pattern, and I made her senior prom dress too, that I followed a pattern for though.

granky 04-26-2020 01:00 PM

Once my girls were old enough to buy 'store bought' dresses, my sewing machine took a break. NOW they would like the homemade clothing...but my quilting takes priority. You did a beautiful job....glad the art isn't lost.....

Barb in Louisiana 04-26-2020 01:08 PM

They look good and good on you. Your are having too much fun with that ruffle. I think I have one out there in my sewing room....somewhere. I might have to dig it up.

Quiltah Mama 04-26-2020 01:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 624556Attachment 624557
Here is the prom dress and one of the velour dresses I made with fur collar and cuffs, also had the white fur around the bottom of the dress. I couldn't easily find pictures of any the other dresses, I only made a handful, maybe four and only for Christmas.

The prom dress had boning in the top, silk, and laced up the back, and I ruffled the edges of the tulle.

mjkgquilt 04-26-2020 05:11 PM

Years ago (1959 to 1962) I made all of my dresses for work in a law office. Unfortunately, I did not photograph any of them. Still have most of them because I was so happy about matching the plaids. You did an excellent job. About 30 years ago I made a dress of black lace. It was a Vogue pattern and included directions to place scallops at the neck and sleeve edges. The hem edge used the other side of the fabric with the scallops. I saw a black lace dress with scallops while visiting the Marshall Field store in downtown Chicago in November 1987. It had a price tag of $600 and was the inspiration to make the black lace dress I made. Was easy to make except for sewing on black lace -- difficult time seeing where I was sewing.

tranum 04-26-2020 05:55 PM

I made dresses, skirts, blazers ( with lapels & shoulder pads) for work in my earlier years. Our daughters clothes were all made by me when she was younger. I still have a few patterns.

tranum 04-26-2020 05:59 PM

Does anyone remember sending for sewing patterns advertised in the newspaper ? The brand was Anne Adams & a pattern cost 75 cents. I was recycling a few old newspapers from early 1970’s and found the ad.

dunster 04-26-2020 06:14 PM

Your dresses are beautiful. Sometimes I look at a piece of fabric and think what a beautiful blouse it would make. Then I remember how much work it would be and wonder whether it would fit right. I think the last time I started to make a dress was in 1975. I never finished it. I had another baby, and was never quite that size again.