Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Firemen collecting money on the street (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/firemen-collecting-money-street-t148347.html)

TonnieLoree 08-27-2011 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I didn't question as to whether it was a good charity or not. I wondered whether they should be standing in the middle of the street or not. I am sure we have all seen people drive in crazy ways. Then right after this I turned onto another street, and there was a huge accident with an ambulance, three police cars, and a fire truck. I couldn't help thinking, "What if it had been the intersection with the firemen standing everywhere?"

Those that are off duty are volunteering their time They are the ones collecting. Believe me, the police and fire departments do not go UN-manned. ;)

barnbum 08-27-2011 04:03 PM

They do that in a town close to me too. Must be it's effective.

Sadiemae 08-27-2011 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I didn't question as to whether it was a good charity or not. I wondered whether they should be standing in the middle of the street or not. I am sure we have all seen people drive in crazy ways. Then right after this I turned onto another street, and there was a huge accident with an ambulance, three police cars, and a fire truck. I couldn't help thinking, "What if it had been the intersection with the firemen standing everywhere?"

Those that are off duty are volunteering their time They are the ones collecting. Believe me, the police and fire departments do not go UN-manned. ;)

I guess I didn't explain myself well enough. My thought when I saw the accident was if it had been where the firemen were, Could they have moved quickly enough to not be hit by the vehicles that had the accident?

Candace 08-27-2011 04:19 PM

Ours do this, but in the Firestation parking lot, so people can turn in off the street to donate. They stand on the sidewalks and wave their boots and hold signs...but they don't stand in the street or block traffic.

New Quilter 08-27-2011 04:46 PM

I think it is a fantastic way to help a good cause...they are giving up their free time...even if you do not have change, you could get a place to send it later...I have done that before...Naomi :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:PS...the ones here do it at 4 way stops with lots of advance warning cones and flashing lights to help to keep them safe

annthreecats 08-27-2011 04:49 PM

I give when I have a chance and the traffic light is red. Sometimes our volunteer fire dept. will collect for their station and I like to give then, as well.

bearisgray 08-27-2011 04:50 PM

I feel uncomfortable driving by them - which I suppose is the point of them being where they are.

blueangel 08-27-2011 04:52 PM

It's for a good cause and I think it's great.

COYOTEMAGIC 08-27-2011 04:53 PM

I understand what you are saying. They could have been hurt by the drivers in the accident.

I think the idea of the cones is to catch peoples eye and slow them down a bit. I know every weekend during the summer back home towards the shore, one or another VFD would be standing at one of the major corners with their boots. Ours tend to have a truck close by with the red lights going to catch your attention.

It's either the boots or chicken bbq's!

OHSue 08-27-2011 04:56 PM

There are a few charities that do that in our area, and I don't support it. I have never given to one, despite the fact that I do consider them worthwhile charities. I just don't think this is the appropriate venue and a bit to close to panhandling for me.
And I agree with you that it does seem to be a bit dangerous. We have red light cameras at the intersection they stand in, obviously someone thinks the red lights are run enough that it warrants camera to enforce the law, people in the middle of the road seem to be a bit too risky for me. The intersection is between a road with four lanes in both directions and the other road is three lanes in both directions, very busy area.