Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   flannel baby blanket (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/flannel-baby-blanket-t285188.html)

sewmuch 01-13-2017 09:40 AM

flannel baby blanket

I made a double flannel blanket using 3 yards folded in half..French seamed it and then a decorative around it..
my ? is should I tie it or leave it as it is...have any of you gals done this? thanks for help...

Tartan 01-13-2017 02:15 PM

If you have 2 layers of flannel, you will need some kind of quilting to avoid the blanket coming out of dryer in a big ball.

ckcowl 01-13-2017 02:42 PM

You could tie it or quilt it, need to do something to secure the two layers together otherwise it will never lay flat after it is laundered without a ton of ironing.
You could always use your decorative stitching in a grid over the surface of the quilt.

quiltingcandy 01-13-2017 03:02 PM

I have wondered about the little baby blankets - not sure what they are called - it is a self-binding baby quilt - and they show all you do after you turn it inside out is sew around the interior edge of the binding to hold it in place. I made one with a friend which was a teaching experience but I didn't know the recipient and have no idea what happened after it was washed. (We did embroider a cute little lion in the corner since it was a baby being born during late July/early August.) Does anyone have any personal experience with them? Do they need more quilting? In the one she taught me does not use any batting, just 2 pieces of flannel.

quiltsRfun 01-13-2017 03:18 PM

I made a similar blanket for my daughter many years ago. I just turned it and topstitched around the edges, no quilting or tying. It washed just fine.

sewmuch 01-13-2017 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7740316)
If you have 2 layers of flannel, you will need some kind of quilting to avoid the blanket coming out of dryer in a big ball.

ok, I sure don't want that...so I think tying with some embroidery thread will worki...

illinois 01-14-2017 04:29 AM

Jenny Doan's tutorial for a receiving blanket does not use any method of holding the 2 layers together. I recently used this method (self binding receiving blanket) to use a pieced flannel top with fleece as the backing (no batt). Because it was larger, I did stitch in the ditch around the border and tied at the intersections of the blocks more as decoration than necessity. It laundered well.

Needles 01-14-2017 05:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've made a number of these which turn out to be about 45" square. I cut a large paper heart, from a brown bag, free form, eyeball it and pin it as close to even center. Then I top stitch all around the outside of the heart. Just unpin the heart, you have an added accent to go with the topstitching around the edge. All babies need heart accents. . Here is one I made my little great nephew a few years back. The heart is hard to see though.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]565620[/ATTACH]

QuiltMom2 01-14-2017 05:06 AM

Someone made a couple self binding receiving blankets for my granddaughter: they used high-quality flannel, just did a 2" border/binding with nicely mitered corners and decorative topstitch to secure the binding. Washes like a dream.

sewmuch 01-14-2017 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Needles (Post 7740618)
I've made a number of these which turn out to be about 45" square. I cut a large paper heart, from a brown bag, free form, eyeball it and pin it as close to even center. Then I top stitch all around the outside of the heart. Just unpin the heart, you have an added accent to go with the topstitching around the edge. All babies need heart accents. . Here is one I made my little great nephew a few years back. The heart is hard to see though.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]565620[/ATTACH]

What a great idea, I'll do that next time, darling blanket...