Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   FLAT RATE ENVELOPES (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/flat-rate-envelopes-t94508.html)

jaciqltznok 01-27-2011 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
Did yall know that you can mail a package directly from your mail box even if you don't know the rate? My sister told me that the "carrier" was obligated to take that package, weigh it for you and put postage on it and give yoU back whatever you requested (insurance form, delivery confirmation, etc). All you needed to do was enclosed funds estimated to cover it. If there is not a big difference, she even covers any shortage and leaves a note for her customer to pay the difference.

CAN YOU JUST IMAGINE US REALLY TRYING THIS?????????

NOT here....and if it weighs more than 11oz you can NOT put into the box, you have to have them either pick up or you have to bring it inside!

sandpat 01-27-2011 06:20 PM

My mail carrier might really do that! She is great, although admittedly I live in a really small town and we tend to chat by the mailbox when I'm outside and see her coming. There are some real perks to small town life!

nativetexan 01-27-2011 06:22 PM

I knew they wouldn't be nice forever. short time too.
oh well, there are other postal delivery places. they should know not to run off customers.

jaciqltznok 01-27-2011 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
I knew they wouldn't be nice forever. short time too.
oh well, there are other postal delivery places. they should know not to run off customers.

here is what happens if you try to ship a USPS flat rate item at UPS or the post box store..you pay $.40 min. for them to accept it!

ptquilts 01-27-2011 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok

Did yall know that you can mail a package directly from your mail box even if you don't know the rate? My sister told me that the "carrier" was obligated to take that package, weigh it for you and put postage on it and give yoU back whatever you requested (insurance form, delivery confirmation, etc). All you needed to do was enclosed funds estimated to cover it. If there is not a big difference, she even covers any shortage and leaves a note for her customer to pay the difference.

NOT here....and if it weighs more than 11oz you can NOT put into the box, you have to have them either pick up or you have to bring it inside!

the cutoff is actually 13 ounces. And if you print postage online, you can leave anything in your outgoing mail box or drop it in the big blue box.

sueisallaboutquilts 01-27-2011 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Yes, June, I do the same.
I have a feeling though that they are going to get tougher on us. I ship a lot of things overseas and I just have a bad feeling about it.
I'm ready to close up my ebay business and postage is one reason :(

ME too...after 10 years, between the ebay crap and postage crap and the new tax laws...it is no longer any fun...nor is it profitable...

You are soooo right! All we do is make Ebay rich :(

Sadiemae 01-27-2011 06:43 PM

I live in a very small town and I can leave money and my carrier will send it and leave change for me the next day. They will even give you envelopes to put money in. Most places you wouldn't dare do this because of the way people steal....

jaciqltznok 01-27-2011 06:44 PM

ME too...after 10 years, between the ebay crap and postage crap and the new tax laws...it is no longer any fun...nor is it profitable...[/quote]

You are soooo right! All we do is make Ebay rich :([/quote]

I pay over $300 a month....so tired of it....I never have nasty customers on Etsy,,,but on ebay...OY...

sueisallaboutquilts 01-27-2011 06:51 PM

Jacquie, I haven't had problems with customers for the most part. It's the fees that make me nuts.
And the new tax thing really did it for me.
I don't use Etsy b/c of what I sell but it's a very nice site!

jaciqltznok 01-27-2011 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Jacquie, I haven't had problems with customers for the most part. It's the fees that make me nuts.
And the new tax thing really did it for me.
I don't use Etsy b/c of what I sell but it's a very nice site!

I only use Etsy for my ultrasuede and some dying supplies,, but changing that this year!