Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Fleece Bad For the Environment/Planet? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/fleece-bad-environment-planet-t271335.html)

Jeanne S 10-22-2015 04:53 AM

Fleece Bad For the Environment/Planet?

I just read an Editorial article in our newspaper regarding fleece that was news to me. If it is true, it is definitely a case against the use of fleece in our quilting. I am curious if anyone else has read about this??
According to the author, James Greiff, fleece was originally thought to be 'green' because it is made from recycled plastic bottles--better in fleece than in the landfill. However it is 'green' UNTIL it is run through the washing machine, which is when thousands of plastic microfibers get flushed into the sewer system and on to our streams, lakes, rivers and ocean. Fleece is polyester, which is not biodegradable, it is made from oil and like most plastic almost immune to the elements. These tiny bits of plastic end up being consumed by small fish and filter feeders like oysters and clams. The stuff can make it up the food chain and potentially into people. He says scientists are currently trying to figure out how much of a risk this is to human health. Also PCBs and other contaminants tend to stick to microfibers like these. One team of researchers gathered sand from 18 beaches on six continents, and none were free of microfibers: highest concentrations were at beaches around cities, where lots of people are washing clothes!
Another major source of microscopic plastic waste are microbeads---those little granules in your body scrub, soap and toothpaste. Those tiny bits of plastic end up the same way. Microbeads are covering the bottoms of the Great Lakes, California has banned the use of microbeads starting in 2020 and New Jersey is too.
No one is expecting states to ban fleece at this time. Some possible solutions are special washing machine filters, changes in the way fleece is manufactured to prevent this shedding when washed, changes to the municipal sewage treatment systems to capture these microfibers. Cotton and wool shed microfibers too, but those fibers are biodegradable. He suggests one possible thing to do for now is keep your fleece, but just don't wash it until it is really, really dirty!!
I don't use fleece much, but this was interesting food for thought, and an issue to keep our eyes on.

bearisgray 10-22-2015 05:09 AM

interesting.

I look at the amount of " stuff" in the nylon stocking attached to the washing machine drain hose and the amount of fluff caught in the dryer filter - so what you are saying makes sense.

Tartan 10-22-2015 05:31 AM

I have heard about the micro beads in body wash effecting fish. I think more research needs to be done on the fleece. I imagine with any thing that is not iodegradable there is going to be some problems.

Sewnoma 10-22-2015 05:39 AM

Good to know, I didn't know about the microbeads either. I used to make body products and I bought something similar to microbeads to add to my soap & lotions, but these were essentially little balls of hard oil that would dissolve in hot water or with lots of friction - I had to be careful not to add them to the raw soap when it was still too hot or they turned into smears. Seems like a simple alternative to plastic microbeads, I didn't even know they were plastic! That seems like just a bad idea right from the start.

mike'sgirl 10-22-2015 05:39 AM

Thank you for sharing. This is very disturbing. I don't use fleece, but for sure now, I won't ever use it.

Buckeye Rose 10-22-2015 06:06 AM

Fleece is no different than thousands of other products manufactured today. That plastic bottle for your water, pop, juice (and hundreds of other liquids) is just as bad if not worse than fleece. Basically anything made from "disposable plastic" will be tossed away, yet won't biodegrade for hundreds of years. So complaining about fleece is like flicking that ant off of your arm when you are sitting on top of their nest.

maminstl 10-22-2015 06:15 AM

I've always hated that stuff, and now I have reason to hate it even more:)

elnan 10-22-2015 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7352352)
interesting.

I look at the amount of " stuff" in the nylon stocking attached to the washing machine drain hose and the amount of fluff caught in the dryer filter - so what you are saying makes sense.

Years ago, I attached the nylon hose to the washer outlet. It filled up very fast, and several times caused backup problems. When we moved, I insisted that the washer empty into a deep laundry sink where I could put a large cupped screen strainer in. When washing fleece, rugs, or anything else that sheds a lot, I must check the sink strainer often, or face the flooded floor. I'd rather keep checking the strainer for hair, strings, fleece, etc. than pay the plumber when the drain backs up. I have a strainer in every sink in the house. I've found that the best source of different sizes of sink strainers are ethnic markets.

Manalto 10-22-2015 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7352381)
I think more research needs to be done on the fleece.

Yeah, let's not rush into anything.

ManiacQuilter2 10-22-2015 06:58 AM

THANKS for this interesting article. I never knew it was made with recyclables.