Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Florida to Oak Ridge, TN...suggestions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/florida-oak-ridge-tn-suggestions-t306307.html)

coopah 08-13-2019 09:20 AM

Florida to Oak Ridge, TN...suggestions

We are able to grab a few days to travel to Oak Ridge. Since reading the book about the women who worked there during WWII, I've wanted to visit. Plus I like the Oak Ridge Boys. So we've scheduled a tour of the "Secret City." My question is...where else should we not miss? We probably won't be this way again. We don't want to add a lot of extra miles, but Knoxville could be added. Or???
I have enough fabric to sink my house, so no fabric stores needed...mainly we like to see historical or just interesting things. Thanks!

Mousie 08-13-2019 10:53 AM

No suggestions as i am a home hermit, lol.
I like the way you said, "I have enough fabric to sink my house."
That literally describes what i am now downsizing.
I'm glad as i let it go for way less than I paid originally that I can
say it did bring me joy at the time. :)

SillySusan 08-13-2019 02:19 PM

No suggestions! Just best wishes go out to you to enjoy your vacation! Sounds like a very nice one. :)

toverly 08-13-2019 02:58 PM

There are lots of great places in Chattanooga, I think you will go thru there. The Choo Choo, the Incline, Rock City, Ruby Falls, there's an Aquarium. All great stops.

coopah 08-13-2019 03:39 PM

Thanks! Chattanooga could work. We have been caregivers to my mom for 9 years. She passed into heaven last fall, so we are trying to take small trips and see what we can of the USA. We did that when we lived in the western part of the USA and enjoyed it tremendously.
Thanks for the Chattanooga ideas, Toverly. Such good folks here to help with any request. Gotta love quilters.

coopah 08-13-2019 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mousie (Post 8289017)
No suggestions as i am a home hermit, lol.
I like the way you said, "I have enough fabric to sink my house."
That literally describes what i am now downsizing.
I'm glad as i let it go for way less than I paid originally that I can
say it did bring me joy at the time. :)

I do have enough to sink my house. There's so much in my sewing room that I can't walk through it. The local guild has a member only garage sale once a year, so some of my fabric will go there. I bought some of it before retiring...and then after retiring found more that I liked...and it just multiplies when I'm not looking! (Like hangars and plastic bags!)

toverly 08-14-2019 04:00 AM

I forgot to mention, if y'all take the Incline up to the top of Lookout Mountain, walk a couple of blocks and there is the Battle of Chattanooga military park. Great little film and it's wonderful looking out off the mountain. There is also a great little restaurant just a short walk off the parking lot at the bottom of the incline. The Purple Daisy Picnic Cafe. I think we heard about it on Diners Drive Ins and Dives. One of those food network shows. As you can probably tell, we spent half a week in Chattanooga about a year ago and thoroughly loved it.

carol45 08-14-2019 05:41 AM

You're near Smokey Mountain National Park. If you haven't been there, it's definitely worth going a little out of your way.

Little Lulu 08-14-2019 06:02 AM

I totally agree that there is so much to see/do in Chattanooga. Also, you would be close enough to the Great Smoky Mountains (about 1 1/2 hours) - Sevierville, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg....lots of mountain crafts, beautiful mountain scenery, various entertainment, aquarium, and lots of shops. If you have never been to the Smoky Mountains, I would suggest going. You won't be disappointed.

coopah 08-14-2019 04:19 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! We are looking forward to getting away. Although we think we'll make this trip once, it sounds like once won't be enough!