Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Foal Watch For Patches (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/foal-watch-patches-t20817.html)

k3n 06-09-2009 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
She's not doing anything she is told, is she? lol

Ok, my dinner is ready...back in a bit!

Bon appetit!

kaykay 06-09-2009 02:30 AM

geeshhhhhhhhhhh im so tired of looking at patches.

Sorry I wasnt around last night. Between the people wanting a horse for nothing and then finding out a payment on horses the week before BOUNCED I was having a mini nervous breakdown. Hubby said he would watch patches and for me to take my butt to bed so I did.

What is wrong with people?

k3n 06-09-2009 02:33 AM

Oh Kay, that's ALL you need right now! Some people are just #unprintable#!!!

kaykay 06-09-2009 03:20 AM

I scrolled back and just wanted to answer some questions

part of her hang up might be the fact that she is penned up.
They would rather foal out in the field during a rain storm
than be all closed in, in a stall.
But, it sure is nice to watch her, even if she isn't doing anything.
where did we put the cursor?
Oops!
She is moving and kicking now .... goody!
If we are lucky enough to catch a mare going into labor during the day we take them out and let them foal in the pasture. We never let mares foal unattended as small equine have a lot more problems foaling then big horses. For sure Flirts last foal would not have got out of the bag if I hadnt been there to tear it open. Patches will bang on the barn door wanting in her stall every night! She really prefers to be in there at night. We put her in approx 8 pm at night to 9 am the next morning. The rest of the day she is out on pasture.

It may seem like we are feeding her a lot but actually she is just nibbling and eating very small amounts all thru the night. Most mares this late in foal cannot eat a whole lot at one time so they nibble all day/night. Kinda like a woman as tword the end there is not a lot of room left :)

tlrnhi 06-09-2009 03:23 AM

Kay, that's just horrible about the check! What are people thinking sometimes?

Are you SURE you are meaning JUNE and not JULY for Patches? You SURE you didn't miscount? <running REALLY, REALLY fast so Kay can't catch me>

omak 06-09-2009 04:44 AM

I see no horse, so assume that she has been put outside.
Kay... thanks for the info about being in a stall and then eating all of the time.
I have to go out to feed cattle, and have Workday at the Post, so won't be around much.
You quilters don't wear that new baby out giving him too much hugs, eh?

I had a first time event last year. First calf heifer, seemed to be having too much trouble, so I walked out to get a better view. Stayed until calf hit the ground, and the bag was over it's face (not a usual event) ... I had just about screwed up enough nerve to walk up and rip it off his face, took one step and the cow whipped around and grabbed that bag with her mouth and tore it open. I was amazed (and, very happy) ... mad mama cows are not my favorite sport <g>
Catch you all later <wave>

k3n 06-09-2009 04:58 AM

That's amazing Omak - what a great Momma cow!

Ninnie 06-09-2009 05:02 AM

loved your cow story omak, animals can be amazing at times

sandpat 06-09-2009 05:05 AM

So nothing unusual this morning .....still no foal and actually no horse in the stall! Ok...still waiting!

Kay...I had someone bouce a check for a horse they bought from me once and my lawyer told me I COULDN"T go pick up the horse! Actually, they forged the check...what a mess! I sure hope your deal was just an innocent oversight.

omak...you be careful about those mad mama cows...a guy we know was almost killed by one! DH and I never get close by ourselves..we do a "team" thing. Actually when it comes right down to it, I'd rather lose the calf. Those Mamas seem to know when they really have a problem and they seem to ask us for "help" when they need it...but don't want it any other time.

I'll try to check back in later to see the filly Kay!

zyxquilts 06-09-2009 05:28 AM

Good Morning all....just a quick check-in before I go to work.
&lt;sigh&gt; Still no baby &lt;sigh&gt;

I hope they make good on that check for you Kay, that's awful.

Will check in periodically from work today.

Let's go Patches!!!! FIL - LY! FIL-LY!!