Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Food Dehydrators (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/food-dehydrators-t255210.html)

Bobbielinks 10-13-2014 08:01 AM

Food Dehydrators

I am wanting to purchase a food dehydrator for one of my sons, but have no knowledge as to what to get. Do any of you have suggestions? A favorite brand? What size/how many trays? What should I look for to get something not too expensive, but built to last.

Ginaky 10-13-2014 04:03 PM

I have a Nesco with 6 trays. It has a fan motor than blows the hot air and drys things much faster than one that is just heat. I have been drying apples and have done 4 batches so far. I also use it for jerky. I got it at Walmart.

quiltingcandy 10-13-2014 04:45 PM

My first thought was check at the thrift stores if you are not sure you want one. It seems a lot of people buy them then decide they take up too much room or too much work. A friend of mine had one so I used hers once. Discovered my family was not into the dried fruit.

mike'sgirl 10-13-2014 04:59 PM

Mine is a transparent brown with six trays. I'm not sure of the brand. I think it might be a Ronco. Works very well... could probably find one on eBay.

juneayerza 10-13-2014 05:54 PM

American Harvester makes one that circulates air with a fan. I've had two of these over several years and they seem to be pretty reliable.

Sandygirl 10-14-2014 02:39 AM

Why? My husband had to have one.. I was not interested. He used it maybe twice (to make jerky...stinks up the house) and now it sits two years later...as I predicted. You can buy a lot of dried fruit for what you will invest in the machine, the supplies and the HOURS it takes to dry the fruit etc. I figure that he had $100 into a couple of batches of jerky. He bought a "small" one. Ha! Not so small. Takes up space.

Shop resale stores. You will likely find abandoned dehydrators barely used. Give them a go then decide if you want a new one. Sorry for the discouraging input. I also dont want a juicer taking up room. Too many appliances taking up storage space as it is.

Sandy

AngeliaNR 10-14-2014 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Ginaky (Post 6927801)
I have a Nesco with 6 trays. It has a fan motor than blows the hot air and drys things much faster than one that is just heat. I have been drying apples and have done 4 batches so far. I also use it for jerky. I got it at Walmart.

I have this one, too, and love it. We dry herbs, tomatoes, and peppers from the garden for winter use. At the end of the season, we dry the green tomatoes that won't have time to ripen, and crunch the dried tomatoes into soups. My husband does a few batches of jerky a year. We've had it for three years an it is still going strong! I paid thirty-something dollars for it--one of the best buys I've ever made.

Bullock2us 10-14-2014 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR (Post 6928189)
I have this one, too, and love it. We dry herbs, tomatoes, and peppers from the garden for winter use. At the end of the season, we dry the green tomatoes that won't have time to ripen, and crunch the dried tomatoes into soups. My husband does a few batches of jerky a year. We've had it for three years an it is still going strong! I paid thirty-something dollars for it--one of the best buys I've ever made.

I also have this one. I like to make fruit leather(so I know what is in it)make raisins,dry apples,strawberries,etc. I just like to dry my own even though it is more work so I know what is in and on them. I also bought my daughter this one when she got married and she likes it too.

so2sew 10-14-2014 05:06 AM

I have a Mr. Coffee dehydrator and use it all the time. My favorite thing to dry is homemade granola. It's quite easy and it only takes about 24 hours for it to dry. Christmas is the best time to buy one and Aldi stores offer them every so often for a really decent price. I would not pay more than $40. for one. I am going to dry some jalapeņos later today. Right now I have a batch of granola in and it's making a wonderful scent drifting through the house.

Sandygirl 10-14-2014 05:11 AM

WOW! I am a downer for sure! but I don't garden and I don't have the "time" or desire to dehydrate. Good info here tho! I love the feedback.

sandy