Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Food for Thought (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/food-thought-t207767.html)

AlienQuilter 12-06-2012 06:13 AM

Food for Thought

Saw this on the news this morning: Contractor suing homeowner over negative Yelp, Angie's List reviews

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505363_1...-list-reviews/

When does complaining cross the line? I'm guessing she took it too far when she accused him of stealing jewelry in addition to damaging her home.

I'm going to be more careful about writing negative comments after seeing this. Once it's out there in cyber space it's out there forever.

willferg 12-06-2012 08:32 AM

"I'm going to be more careful about writing negative comments after seeing this. Once it's out there in cyber space it's out there forever."

Words to live by!

Jingle 12-06-2012 03:02 PM

Did she mention his name or business? I assume she did otherwise he could not have meant she was talking about him. Sounds like he wants easy money to me. Sure alot easier than working.

nativetexan 12-06-2012 04:39 PM

boy, once i had my carpet cleaned. one went into my bedroom and afterward I couldn't find my wedding ring. Luckily I had misplaced it. i never called them because there would have been nothing i could have done, no matter what. but i never bad mouthed them either. to anyone. turned out to just be my brain not remembering.
but watching Holmes on Homes, most home contractors suck!!

coopah 12-07-2012 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 5702800)
Did she mention his name or business? I assume she did otherwise he could not have meant she was talking about him. Sounds like he wants easy money to me. Sure alot easier than working.

Well, if someone accused me of stealing, and I didn't do it, I'd sure go to the mat about that. Mat meaning courts in this case. And let me tell you, he'll spend a lot more in lawyer fees than if he didn't fight it. This lady impugned his reputation and has destroyed his business. It's one thing to report on shoddy work. Quite another thing to accuse someone of stealing. IMHO

lillybeck 12-07-2012 06:43 AM

I grew up in a family of carpenters and builders. I think that ethics is the best way to go and if they ever had a complaint they went back and fixed it. She should have contacted this man before saying anything. He may have solved her problem.

I do beleive in free speech and am a bit tired of everyone having a say except certain people

Glenda m 12-07-2012 07:54 AM

Think I will inject a bright note here. LOL We had our roof done and the guys that did it were great. At one point they had a radio up there with them and one did a little imprompto(sp) dance. The way our roof is, he was in no danger. When we saw what he was doing, he turned kind of red and said sorry. We thought it was funny and thanked him for the entertainment. About a week later we had a thunderstorm and still had a little bit of a leak. Called the company and they found out that one of the roof vents for our floor furnace had rusted and they missed it. Got a new vent, repaired the roofing around it, corrected one of the turbines on the roof and didn't charge us a penny more. I know, you say they should have done that under the contract anyway, but we were very pleased with this company.
I have worked with my dad on roofs and love to go to Lowes and much as the fabric store. LOL
Sorry to be so long with this. Hope everyone has a great day and can find great a contractors. Yes, they are out there.

Glenda m 12-07-2012 07:58 AM

I love watching Mike, but not so much anymore. It seems he only works on homes that are in the $100,000 and more range. Since our home comes no where close to that, guess we will never get to see him. Rats!!

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 5702973)
boy, once i had my carpet cleaned. one went into my bedroom and afterward I couldn't find my wedding ring. Luckily I had misplaced it. i never called them because there would have been nothing i could have done, no matter what. but i never bad mouthed them either. to anyone. turned out to just be my brain not remembering.
but watching Holmes on Homes, most home contractors suck!!

solstice3 12-07-2012 09:49 AM

Anyone can sue anyone over anything. Unfortunately, many things we use to deal with in a civilized manner face to face are now lawsuits

Caswews 12-08-2012 01:35 PM

the old saying : sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me ? well they need to change that to words can and will hurt you forever.