Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Fourth of July & Dogs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/fourth-july-dogs-t51537.html)

KathyAire 06-26-2010 05:35 PM

I hate the Fourth of July. We live outside the city limit and 95% of the people in our neighborhood compete against each other to see who can spend the most money on firecrackers. I'm not kidding, I dare say there is at least $10,000.00 worth of firecrackers right here. It's like a war zone. It's starts at dark and will go on until about 2:00 AM. My oldest dog, Ruby Darlin', freaks out at the noise. She is so stressed that it rubs off on Sam, who is not bothered by the noise, but by Ruby's reaction.

I know you think I'm exaggerating about the amount of firecrackers. I am not. Our subdivision would put some of the little town's public fireworks display to shame. Did I already mention that I hate the night time celebration for the 4th of July?

NCquilter 06-26-2010 05:37 PM

My Roxie Girl does not like fireworks either. We normally go to the beach for the 4th and they aren't so bad where we stay.

erstan947 06-26-2010 05:37 PM

Been there lived thru that. I live way away for anyone so not an issue these day.

Pam 06-26-2010 05:40 PM

Call your vet to see if you can get a tranquilizer for your cutie pie. The same thing they give out for car sickness should have her feelin' mighty happy about Independance Day.

Tink's Mom 06-26-2010 05:45 PM

We have the same problems, plus I live across from a park. Tink can't take it, so the vet gave me some tranquilizers for her. Well worth it..but watch the dog on stairs, on some it affects the balance a bit.

KathyAire 06-26-2010 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Pam
Call your vet to see if you can get a tranquilizer for your cutie pie. The same thing they give out for car sickness should have her feelin' mighty happy about Independance Day.

It doesn't work. You can't imagine how the noise just goes on and on here. I don't remember what it was that I got for Ruby, but she is so stressed, it doesn't have any effect until the next day and then she is like a zombie. Scared me to death to see her like that.

CarrieAnne 06-26-2010 05:46 PM

My Mom had to give her Border Collie pills on the 4th, also during thunder storms. Poor dog would just freak out and tremble!

littlehud 06-26-2010 05:58 PM

My dad does the same for his dog. She hates thunder.

CrazyAunt 06-26-2010 06:03 PM

I also have 3 dogs that are totally terrified of the July 4th noise and we have a war zone around here. People here can shoot fireworks as much as 5 days before the 4th and 5 days after the 4th in the city limits. My vet gives me Xanax (sp?) for all of them. It's not perfect but it gives them a little peace. So I guess my strategy is to drug the dogs, turn on all the fans, all the televisions and all the radios and settle in to enjoy the 4th of July (with a Margarita in my hand and a golden retriever in my lap.)

PennyLynn 06-26-2010 06:08 PM

I have the same problem and our city park is only 4 blocks and they set off large firework show, we use tranquilizer of 2 of my 3 dogs.