Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   fraud alert (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/fraud-alert-t191744.html)

Peckish 06-14-2012 07:44 AM

fraud alert

Hello everyone. I just wanted to put an alert out there regarding an email I got from Verizon. I do have a couple of Verizon accounts, and this email looked EXACTLY like the regular emails I get from them. However, the dollar amount was way off. It has a clickable link in the email, so I hovered over it to preview the URL. It does NOT go to an official Verizon website - it looks like Verizon, but once you type in your name and password, the scammers have your information. The same scam has been happening with Amazon shoppers, which can be really bad if you are signed up for the 1-click purchasing.

How to deal with this: Do NOT click any link in any email. If you have a question about your account with any vendor, open a new browser window, type in the URL yourself, and check your account.

ptquilts 06-14-2012 08:17 AM

well said and worth repeating.

momto5 06-14-2012 08:27 AM

This scared me...I just did some internet business with them yesterday...so I called and they told me that the scam that is being perpetrated right now involves a sum of money around $1,000....the rep told me they are tracking it down now (and fortunately, my contact with Verizon WAS the real thing...)...so please do be careful and proceed as Peckish suggests.

luvstoquilt 06-15-2012 07:13 AM

It is going on with Paypal, too. I got an e-mail about my account but did not open it. I called and was told it was not from them and they would not send those types of messages. They had me send the e-mail to their fraud dept. I have gotten them in the past from my bank as well. You must be very careful. There are some very smart crooks out there..too bad they are not putting that brainwork to something more useful!

sweet 06-15-2012 07:15 AM

I got one from Delta airlines yesterday!

Susanna10 06-15-2012 08:01 AM

I keep getting them from Bank of America and they are fraud!!!!!

damaquilts 06-16-2012 04:10 AM

I love the ones from banks where I don't even have an account. I have gotten the B of A ones too. And just laughed. Can you imagine if these fools put that intellect to work doing something honest.

elm 06-16-2012 06:59 AM

good advice. I learned that the hard way several years ago on an e-mail that looked like it was from my bank. Since I realized right away that something was wrong, I contacted the bank immediately. They closed my account set up a new one and had their fraud department handle everything. Before I even talked with the people from that department, I had made a rule for myself that I would read the alersts I had set up for myself from the bank, but would no longer use links on any e-mail. Much safer to start typing in the url. My computer gives me a list to click from if it's a frequent item, so that's a big plus.

Gabrielle's Mimi 06-16-2012 02:40 PM

Like other QB members, I have been getting multiple ones from banks where I don't have accounts. I have also had them from PayPal and credit cards. There must be an awful lot of miserable people out there just sitting around trying to figure out how to steal from us. I don't click on anything to open it if I'm not sure who it's from. If only these people would use their energy and brains for the good!!!

katesnanna 06-16-2012 05:08 PM

I was told when I first started using a computer not to click on links in emails. My daughter got caught because she was in a hurry and didn't read the email properly and $2000 disappeared from her account. Luckily the bank replaced it.
Recently, here in Australia, we started getting calls saying there was a problem with our computers and if we let them into our computer they could fix it. DH got the first call and just hung up. I took the next one and got really mad and said "no there's not and you're a scammer, he hung up fast. But the calls have stopped after the last two calls. When they start their spiel I just said, "I don't have a computer and you're a scammer"
These people make me so mad.