Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Front loaders - pedestal or not? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/front-loaders-pedestal-not-t269754.html)

suern3 09-08-2015 01:59 PM

I love my front load machine which we have had for about 5 or so years. Clothes are cleaner than ever and the machine does not beat them up. We are still using our old electric dryer and the washer so efficiently wrings out everything that they also dry faster in the old dryer than with previous machine. I think you will love it. But as to your question about pedestals. In the store where I bought mine they have a "scratch and dent" area and I was able to buy one for $60. It really is not damaged but it does not "match" the washer. Washer is white, pedestal is gray and it makes no difference to me. Our laundry room is in the basement so it just didn't matter. I would not want to do without one though. It would be very inconvenient in my opinion. The machine is not noisy nor does it seem to vibrate. My daughter, who lives in a different state was also able to find a mismatched pedestal at a decent price. So you might want to check around. I sure don't blame you for not wanting to spend that much on a pedestal.

Kassaundra 09-08-2015 02:22 PM

We opted for no pedestal. My husband and I are both on the short side and didn't want to have to get a step stool to get clothes out of the drier.

JenniePenny 09-08-2015 02:27 PM

I have a new front load washer and dryer. I opted not to get the pedestal for the cost, and because I am only 5'2". I do not have any regrets. I don't feel that the units are too low or that getting wet clothes is any problem. I will say that the washer uses less water, less energy, less detergent than the old, and it cleans much better. It also does such a great job spinning that the dry time (and energy) has been reduced as well.

lynnie 09-08-2015 03:41 PM

I always wanted a front loader b/c of the economic factor. Never again. I can't tell you how many times I've started the wash and oops, a sock or a dirty washcloth. you can't open till it's done. Nevr again, ill get a top loader from now on. don't notice a cleaner wash either. and you have to clean it out about once a month too. Good luck to you.

Quilty-Louise 09-08-2015 05:59 PM

Lynnie,

We have the Maytag Epic front load, and all I have to do is push the
pause/stop button and it will stop unlock the door for which I can add
the missed item.

Close the door push and hold the start button and away it goes again.

Guess I never knew not all front load machines could do that.

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 7311464)
I always wanted a front loader b/c of the economic factor. Never again. I can't tell you how many times I've started the wash and oops, a sock or a dirty washcloth. you can't open till it's done. Nevr again, ill get a top loader from now on. don't notice a cleaner wash either. and you have to clean it out about once a month too. Good luck to you.

Misty's Mom 09-09-2015 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise (Post 7311589)
Lynnie,

We have the Maytag Epic front load, and all I have to do is push the
pause/stop button and it will stop unlock the door for which I can add
the missed item.

Close the door push and hold the start button and away it goes again.

Guess I never knew not all front load machines could do that.

our whirlpools work the same way to add a missed item.

Fastpedal 09-09-2015 03:45 AM

Had front loader without a pedestal and used it for several years. Then we added the pedestal. Then we moved and got new washer and dryer with the pedestal. Definitely if you have the means get the pedestals. You will not be sorry.

Roberta 09-09-2015 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Scraps (Post 7311007)
Their horrible to get clothes out of at the lower level! I went with a new top loader with no agitator in the middle & I love it!! NO bending!! It also has water level sensors & only uses what is needed! Front loaders are way over rated IMHO :-)

Our washer recently gave up the spirit so I too when with a top loader with no agitator. It's a Maytag and gets the clothes much cleaner then my old washer. Of course I'm short and when I reach in to get the last of the clothes out, I sometimes feel I'll fall in and be found next time a wash needs to be done.

nancyw 09-09-2015 05:09 AM

I have pedestals for my Front Loaders and I store things in them One has light bulbs and misc. and the other has washing related things in it. I have a formula I use for fabric softener 2 cups hair softener, 1 cup vinegar and 6 cups hot water.

OhCanada 09-09-2015 05:13 AM

Google "homemade pedestals for front loading washer". Lots of alternatives to purchasing them from the machine manufacturers.