Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Frugal Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/frugal-fabric-t252344.html)

kellen46 08-24-2014 07:15 AM

Look for your local thrift shop to do a bag sale.....all you can fit in the bag for a set price. I go right for the menswear department for great shirts, cotton, T's, cotton knits, and silk ties....they are cut on the bias so you can open them up and strip cut them for lush bias bindings. I also make my own patterns for undies and such. One good basic pattern with a selection of garments can be endlessly repeated with a selection of fabrics. Also check for denim and chambray shirts, wool skirts, and nice cotton dresses, all can be up-cycled for the fabric.

AZ Jane 08-24-2014 07:40 AM

Yes, they have patterns, even for shoes!!

huntannette 08-24-2014 07:43 AM

you can find a lot of cute fabric in scrubs as well....those worn by the medical field.....a lot are 100% cotton too

nancia 08-24-2014 07:49 AM

there is a thread started already if you would like to join us. you can also start your own thread. Many of us still enjoy dressing, sewing for, and collecting dolls! I have two dgd into them and a 3rd dgd in the future. YAY! years and years of dolls ahead of me!

Billy'swife 08-24-2014 08:06 AM

I love sewing "green". It's challenging to make something new and beautiful from fabric that was used for another purpose. Most of us take so much for granted (me included) and are so wasteful. Instead of throwing out scraps, I take them to my guild for anyone who could use them. There are doll clothes, pot holders, mug rugs, confetti quilts, etc. that can be created from these fabrics. Please post pics of the doll clothes you make.

dorismae904 08-24-2014 10:23 AM

A friend of mine made some pillowcase dresses for AG dolls. They looked pretty simple to make.

nancia 08-24-2014 03:58 PM

I've posted pictures of the most recent dresses I have made on a thread, 18" doll clothes. they are from scraps but I do buy remnants as well. l've recently learned a technique to make t-shirts without the machine eating the fabric. living and learning as I go! lol

GrammieJan 08-25-2014 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by kellen46 (Post 6857798)
Look for your local thrift shop to do a bag sale.....all you can fit in the bag for a set price. I go right for the menswear department for great shirts, cotton, T's, cotton knits, and silk ties....they are cut on the bias so you can open them up and strip cut them for lush bias bindings. I also make my own patterns for undies and such. One good basic pattern with a selection of garments can be endlessly repeated with a selection of fabrics. Also check for denim and chambray shirts, wool skirts, and nice cotton dresses, all can be up-cycled for the fabric.

I went to Good Will store to look for men's ties. Was shocked at the prices! I bought 3 ties and paid $13 for them. No bargain there! Haven't gone back either.

kellen46 08-25-2014 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by GrammieJan (Post 6858981)
I went to Good Will store to look for men's ties. Was shocked at the prices! I bought 3 ties and paid $13 for them. No bargain there! Haven't gone back either.

Well I don't go to GoodWill anymore either. To my mind they are way over priced on their stuff. We have local shop run as a funding source for the Hospice. I pay about $1 or half that when they are on sale. Look for Thrift shops that augment local resources like the animal shelter or some such. As far as I am concerned, GoodWill has not garnered any good will with me. I am not sure they are a rehab resource or just a business that utilizes some really cheap, pennies an hour, labor.

sandypants 08-25-2014 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by tucsonquilter (Post 6857679)
Would you post some pictures of the clothes you made? I need some ideas. Thanks

I will try to post some oF
the outfits I've been making this week...Stay tuned...