Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Fund-Raising Phone Calls (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/fund-raising-phone-calls-t290978.html)

solstice3 09-06-2017 06:10 PM

Great minds think alike! I repeat the few Polish phrases I know until they hang up

Candy Apple Quilts 09-07-2017 03:04 AM

Just make sure you never say the word "yes". A lot of these scammers are recording your voice, and then they can use it (legally!) to say that you approved a purchase! I had one of them call yesterday, and he said he was from my local utility office.He already knew my name and address (and obviously, my phone number) and he kept trying to get me to use the word yes. I could tell by the way he phrased his questions.I kept saying NO in a very gruff voice, even when he said the weather was nice! He got frustrated with me and hung up on me! Then I call blocked him on my phone. Happy ending.

celwood 09-07-2017 04:22 AM

One thing that has bothered me is that I get a lot of calls from "St Jude Children's Hospital" asking for money. I already donate a monthly amount to them so I know these calls are not legit. I hope that these types of calls are not affecting the donations made to this wonderful organization.

ptquilts 09-07-2017 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 7901660)
I just followed your link and they wanted me to donate to charity navigator. How's that for wanting donations?

They provide a great service at no cost to us. I consider that worth a donation. They have expenses too, and you see no ads on their website.

Boston1954 09-07-2017 06:45 AM

Wonder answering ideas! I almost wish I would get some calls. :)

cathyvv 09-07-2017 01:02 PM

Mermaid,

I get the "warranty" calls from time to time. Our cars are all way past the warranty phase, so my guess is that these are just another scam - they get your name, your address, your CC info, etc.

You get to call the CC company to let them know that your info was stolen and there are purchases on your card that you didn't make.

These 'offers' occasionally come via the US mail, too, but not from the dealer who sold you the car. The only way to answer those mails is to tear them up and toss them in the garbage.

cathyvv 09-07-2017 01:03 PM

My response is always, a quick, "I'm not interested. Good bye."

tranum 09-07-2017 07:06 PM

They start with "how are you today?" DH immediately says. "You don't give a fig About my health, now get to the point". When they collect themselves and begin to babble on, he hangs up. I learned to never, ever, sign up for prizes at an event. I got calls and offers from a Cruise Line way too often after that. Only after I became quite angry over the phone did it halt.

SusieQOH 09-08-2017 10:27 AM

If I stayed at all the resorts I supposedly have I'd be a world traveler by now. Total nonsense.

nwm50 09-09-2017 10:32 AM

I may answer sometime but usually it has a "if u do not want this call please hit button # so & so and we'll take u off list" if I do answer ph
If I see an unknown #..I usually won't answer, thy can leave a message.
I have acted deaf b4 and the thing is.....I am part deaf!! Lol