Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Funny how things work out sometimes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/funny-how-things-work-out-sometimes-t204088.html)

GrandmaNewt 10-24-2012 04:24 AM

Funny how things work out sometimes

My son in law is an electrical technician at a big network operations center. Because there are so many cooling units keeping the building at temp for all the servers there, months ago his work decided to send him to school to learn how to fix air conditioners. He now has a HVAC license. How nice we all thought. A skill to fall back on. The part we couldnt understand is that after he got that license, his work sent him to refrigeration classes. I spent months babysitting my grandsons while he learned how to fix refrigerators and freezers. Everyone thought that was strange, besides the break room fridge at work, we couldnt see why his bosses felt he needed this skill.

He has been finished with the refrigeration classes for about 3 weeks now. Yesterday I noticed that my fridge decided that it needed to hold a nice toasty temp of 62 degrees :( Instead of calling a repairman, we called the SIL. Yippee! The part the fridge needed only cost $30 and SIL refused to let us pay him for his time. Nice to have a refrigeration person as part of the family. I really like his bosses and their decision to send him to school :)

Tartan 10-24-2012 04:49 AM

Gaining knowledge is always valuable and can certainly add to his employment options. It sure can in handy for you too!

Jingle 10-24-2012 05:06 AM

Good for you to have someone in the family for these possible fixes. Glad he didn't charge you.
All this knowledge will give him more opportunities for employment.

Jan in VA 10-24-2012 05:40 AM

Serendipity, I love it!
There are no coincidences in life.:)

Jan in VA

alwayslearning 10-24-2012 05:49 AM

This was definitely timely. Helps pay for some of that baby sitting. AND you know it was repaired correctly. I always feel so helpless when I get something repaired.

QuiltnNan 10-24-2012 07:44 AM

lucky for you! it's so great that he is learning the skills that will make him more valuable wherever he gets work.

Caswews 10-25-2012 07:29 AM

Things happen in our lives that one never knows the reason for until after it all happens and the light bulb comes on .. (that is my story and I am agonna stick with it !LOL)

cherrio 10-25-2012 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5608465)
Serendipity, I love it!
There are no coincidences in life.:)

Jan in VA

I agree 100% Jan!

MimiBug123 10-25-2012 03:06 PM

There are no coincidences in life. Everything happens for a reason!

caspharm 10-26-2012 10:01 AM

How nice and extra skills are always good to have. His employer sees the value of keeping its employees well-trained.