Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   A funny story (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/funny-story-t310428.html)

juliasb 04-03-2020 08:03 AM

A funny story

I was talking with my daughter this morning who is just beginning to build a stash of fabrics. She went to Walmart a week or so ago to purchase some clearance fabrics. Now she is brand new to buying fabrics and has no clue how it is done. She saw several bolts of fabrics that were about 8-10 yds each. No one was in the department. She put the bolts in her cart, now mind you the cart was full with bolts of fabric. So off to the cash register she went. The cashier has no idea either and so charge her the price on the end of the bolt, $1. So now she has only spent a total of $9 for the entire cart of fabrics. Talk about stash building. So off she went happy as a snug bug in a rug.
She went back to the store the same day figuring she would pick up some more of the clearance fabrics. This time there was someone in the department and when she started to go with another cart load of fabrics the associate stopped her to tell her she needed to have it cut. My daughter was totally stunned! She told me she felt a good deal of guilt about the error but was legitimate in how she paid for the fabric. She did buy a few yards that day. What a way to start building a stash.

Tartan 04-03-2020 12:18 PM

Well she got a bargain for sure! Hopefully they are not clearing out the whole fabric department.

ptquilts 04-03-2020 02:23 PM

I think that cashier was a few drawers short of a file cabinet!!

juliasb 04-03-2020 02:27 PM

I thought for sure my daughter would have known you buy fabric by the yard. I suppose she is use to raiding my stash over the last 30 years and never had to buy anything at Walmart by the yard. It was a very big surprise to me. I love that girl. You would have thought the cashier would have caught that one.

Jingle 04-03-2020 03:02 PM

Good for her to get such a bargain.

They should have someone at all times to cut fabrics.

pocoellie 04-03-2020 04:23 PM

Wow!!! What a deal!! She has a pretty good start on her stash building. LOL

tranum 04-03-2020 04:43 PM

We basically live between 2 Walmart’s so I’ve fabric shopped at both. One has a knowledgeable lady working & my needs are quickly taken care of. The other one has no real person, just a button to press to get help.

Lena1952 04-04-2020 03:25 AM

At my local Walmart there is no person or bell. You have to find a clerk in the store and ask for someone to be sent to the fabric dept.

Lady Diana 04-04-2020 05:44 AM

Any guilt? She may want to go back and pay the $1 a yard for her fabrics....everytime she looks at or uses the fabric, or sees the quilt, she may think of how it was acquired. Not a good feeling if you have a conscience.

juliasb 04-04-2020 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana (Post 8375027)
Any guilt? She may want to go back and pay the $1 a yard for her fabrics....everytime she looks at or uses the fabric, or sees the quilt, she may think of how it was acquired. Not a good feeling if you have a conscience.

I have talked to her about this and of course it is up to her. Me I would have made sure it was measured and cut but I already know that is how it is suppose to be. She does now because she learned after the fact. I hope she does this and takes it back for measuring it. I am not sure how they would handle this one at this time and the quarantine.